Harris moves up track and field ladder

Tim Harris is only a freshman but already a leader on the Miami men’s track team. Harris, who finished third in the 800m at the Duke Invitational last week, fielded questions from our Chris Hamilton.

TH: You won the 800 meters at the U.S. Junior Championships last year. What was that like?

Harris: It was great. I went through a lot of things in high school and winning U.S. Juniors was the icing on the cake for my high school career.

TH: Karron Clement (Florida) just broke Michael Johnson’s 10-year record in the 400-meter Indoors. What is one record you would like to break?

Harris: I’m not really focused on records right now. I just want to establish myself as a good runner in college.

TH: You’re a freshman this year. Do the older guys ever tease you or give you hard time?

Harris: No, we have a pretty young team. Being a real track guy coming in here, coach really uses me as a leader of the team [laughs]. I’m not the guy that they push around. I’m usually the guy everyone looks up to.

TH: Are track stars just born fast or is there a way to increase your speed?

Harris: Coming from Miami, I think we all have a little speed. But I played football in high school and I think the weight training got me stronger and to the level that I’m at now.

TH: Do you have an embarrassing moment that’s happened on the track?

Harris: My sophomore year I jumped the gun in a race and false started at regionals. It wouldn’t have been a big deal if it was a sprint, but it was the mile.

TH: Nearly half of the track team is made up of football players. What is it like having them around?

Harris: To me, it’s nothing different because I used to be one of those guys in high school. We all know each other and it’s not about football players trying to take over anything.

TH: What did you think of the Marian Jones steroid controversy?

Harris: It’s all a lie. I don’t think she took steroids.

TH: At what point will you say “It’s time for me to go pro?”

Harris: [Laughs] Anytime in my college career where I feel like I’ve accomplished the things I want to accomplish and feel that I’m at the top of my game.

TH: Devin Hester vs. Roscoe Parrish in the 100m. Who do you like?

Harris: Well, they would both smoke me [laughs]. But I would have to say Hester because it’s just crazy how he run away from people.

TH: Which do you like better: relays or individuals?

Harris: Individuals. In high school I was the guy everyone counted on. In the state championship, I got the stick in seventh place and had to run like crazy to catch up. I ended up wasting all my energy before the 800m.

TH: What do you need to improve on most?

Harris: I think my sprints. If I get that down, I’ll be one of the top guys professionally. Period.

Chris Hamilton can be contacted at

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

Women’s Commission’s 47th annual breakfast honors those who stand up to make a difference for women ...

The Kislak Center opens, aims to advance new forms of scholarship and build bridges across the Unive ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s Miami-spiced book talk spotlighted the One Book, One U initiative. ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Chalk round two up to Raymond Gil, who made amends with a walk-off single to send the Hurricanes pas ...

The Hurricanes set two school records in the men's throws and had two female student-athletes p ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was on the verge of knocking down top-ranked Wake For ...

The University of Miami volleyball team hosts Florida Atlantic University at the James L. Knight Spo ...

The University of Miami Hurricane Club is excited to announce the official 2018 Building Champions S ...