A Week for Life, SpectrUM raise awareness

Educating the UM community was a mission for students this week, as both SpectrUM’s Spring Education Week and A Week for Life kicked off events to raise awareness on controversial issues.

Included in the week’s many events was SpeakOUT, an open mic at the Rock that brought to light many issues concerning gay and lesbian people.

“I’m sick of being asked which member of the Fab Five I am,” said Chris Fisher, sophomore and chair of OUTspoken, the political wing of SpectrUM, during the opening of his speech.

Issues discussed during the reading included the discriminatory legislation against gays and lesbians in adoptions and marriage and hate crimes against gays.

“Being exposed to the numerous and horrendous hate crimes that happen to gays, lesbians and minorities appalls me,” Jay Tenny, junior, said. “I’ve recently become an advocate for their safety and for the acceptance of all people regardless of differences.”

The week began with tabling on Monday in the breezeway on the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy concerning gay and lesbian issues.

Other events included a symbolic marriage ceremony on Thursday and Wednesday’s National Day of Silence, a national youth movement to protest the silence faced by gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

A Week for Life makes sex ed fun

At the same time that SpectrUM was holding events, the UC Patio was transformed into a carnival complete with a cotton candy stand, a kissing booth and a performance by Kaos on Wednesday to attract students to have fun in between classes. However, there was one catch: The carnival promoted safe sex.

The Sex Carnival is one of the many events during A Week for Life, presented by the organization of the same name.

A Week for Life’s goal is to educate the university community every semester about HIV and AIDS in an entertaining way.

“We organized the Carnival games and food to attract students,” Tahirah Abdullah, Sex Carnival co-chair, said. “By getting them to go around and learn something in the process, we may make them more likely to use a condom in the future.”

One of the booths included a kissing booth, sponsored by Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority.

“It was more of a Kiss and Tell booth. Students received Hershey’s kisses in exchange for answers to trivia on STDs,” Shaneca Adams, vice-president of Alpha Kappa Alpha, said.

Another way students were educated and encouraged to practice safe sex were giveaways. Organizers handed out condoms taped with catchy phrases such as “Cover your stump before you hump” that would encourage students to stop, read and take one.

Perhaps the most beneficial giveaway was the free HIV testing. Enlisting the help from the local organization, Care Resource, A Week for Life provided students the opportunity to take an HIV test without needles. Students went to UC 245 to find out their status through a swab of their cheek.

“It’s excellent we have this and vitally important young people are aware of HIV and AIDS prevention,” Fatima Henson, junior, said. “It is also a good way to be involved.”

Cecille Lucero can be contacted at c.lucero1@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...