UMNEWS – The Hurricane takes a prize at journalism contest

UM took home a number of awards in the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Mark of Excellence Awards given Saturday, April 9 at the SPJ Regional Conference held in Charleston, S.C. The Hurricane received Honorable Mention in the Best All-Around Non-Daily Student Newspaper category. The winner in the category was the Central Florida Future, the student newspaper from the University of Central Florida.

At the same conference, UMTV won in the TV In-Depth Reporting category for its “Coral Gables: Changing with the Times” segment, and UMTV’s Robert Kaple won in the TV General News Reporting category for his “John Kerry Visits U of M” segment.

In the Online General News Reporting category, Jennifer Gilliam and her class won for their project, “A Student’s View of the Miami Presidential Debate,” which can be viewed at www.viscom.miami.edu/debate.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...