Elsewhere – Nebraska U. student to compete in National Rock Paper Scissors tournament

U-WIRE) LINCOLN, Neb.-University of Nebraska student Ryan Gartner thought it was a big joke when he received a letter in the mail indicating he had been chosen to attend the National Collegiate Rock Paper Scissors Invitational Tournament in South Beach, Fla.

“I didn’t think it was serious,” said the freshman Spanish major. “I had to call to make sure it wasn’t a joke. I didn’t think it was real.”

Gartner is one of 100 college students selected in a drawing to participate in the April 16 Rock, Paper, Scissors Competition sponsored by Nebraska Bookstore and GotUsed, a network of college book stores, said Chris Rodgers, regional manager of Nebraska Book Company.

Gartner signed up for a chance at the national competition during Big Red Welcome in August. There, he saw a big boxing ring poster for the Rock Paper Scissors tournament on display.

The winner of the national competition scores $5,000 and a ticket to the world championship in Calgary, Canada.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...