Elsewhere – Nebraska U. student to compete in National Rock Paper Scissors tournament

U-WIRE) LINCOLN, Neb.-University of Nebraska student Ryan Gartner thought it was a big joke when he received a letter in the mail indicating he had been chosen to attend the National Collegiate Rock Paper Scissors Invitational Tournament in South Beach, Fla.

“I didn’t think it was serious,” said the freshman Spanish major. “I had to call to make sure it wasn’t a joke. I didn’t think it was real.”

Gartner is one of 100 college students selected in a drawing to participate in the April 16 Rock, Paper, Scissors Competition sponsored by Nebraska Bookstore and GotUsed, a network of college book stores, said Chris Rodgers, regional manager of Nebraska Book Company.

Gartner signed up for a chance at the national competition during Big Red Welcome in August. There, he saw a big boxing ring poster for the Rock Paper Scissors tournament on display.

The winner of the national competition scores $5,000 and a ticket to the world championship in Calgary, Canada.

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...