Receivers expecting huge year from deep group

With the annual Spring CanesFest coming up on Saturday at Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, the football team still is loaded with uncertainty. Several key positions, including quarterback, are up for grabs, but one position Head Coach Larry Coker does not need to worry about is wide receiver.

The Hurricanes are loaded with wide outs this year, with Lance Leggett, Ryan Moore, Sinorice Moss, Darnell Jenkins, Akieem Jolla and tight end Greg Olsen returning and the addition of red shirt freshman Khalil Jones into the fold. Jones was particularly impressive during Tuesday’s practice, as he made a couple of nice downfield grabs.

The receiving corps willbe anchored by Leggett, who is sidelined for the spring with an ankle injury. Moore’s resurgence from an injury-rid dled sophomore year is vital, as well as continued growth from Moss, Jenkins and Jolla.

“I like this group,” Coker said. “I like Khalil. I wish we had Lance Leggett,

obviously, healthy, but he is going to be outstanding. I have been very impressed with Ryan Moore and Sinorice and Darnell Jenkins and all those guys with the way they’ve stepped up.”

Coach Curtis Johnson said the veteran receivers have come a long way from their freshmen campaigns.

“There’s nothing like playing time,” Johnson said. “The more you play; the more you practice, the better you’re going to get. Those guys are very attentive. They’re always around, watching film, and they always do the little things.”

While the quarterback competition between Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman, which Wright still holds a slight edge in, will garner most of the headlines this spring, the receivers want the college football world to know they plan on putting up robust

numbers in 2005.

“I think we have one of the deepest corps,” Moss said. “Some of the young guys are coming along real well…it’s looking pretty good.”

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...