Music Mayhem: EDGE reviews the latest albums

A new album off of Drive-Thru Records, Hidden In Plain View falls into the punk/emo category, with 11 tracks of angst, strong drum beats and the vocalist’s slight tendency to scream. The artwork on the actual case is visually interesting, void of any punk, anti-everything attitude. The songs cover subjects typical to punk/emo bands: second chances, addictions, memories and, of course, the past.

Kitsch is exactly the word for this album. Eclectic and soft, Spektor’s voice is melodic and solid no matter the beat. Eleven tracks of interesting lyrics and predominantly piano instrumentation, the songs are varied in length, subject and beat. Despite the unique lyrics and varied tempo, it’s hard to understand what Spektor says, making it easy to tune out her words and focus on the piano. Added bonus, the album comes with a Soviet Kitsch DVD.

Nominated the “Artist of the Year” by Australian Rolling Stone, Missy Higgins is a strong vocalist with instrumental talent. Compared to Vanessa Carlton, Michelle Branch and Sheryl Crow, Higgins breathy soulful lyrics are refreshing and vibrant. Standout track number two, titled “Ten Days,” talks about a past relationship and letting go of loved ones, a rehashed topic that’s given a new touch. Higgins is certainly a new artist to watch.

River City Rebels Hate To Be Loved

Temperamental, underground and oh-so-rebellious, River City Rebels presents in-your-face punchy beats with strong drum undertones and guitar rifts-the seven-man band has every instrument covered. In tune with rebellion, the lyrics are raw and hold nothing back with frequent cursing, blunt gore and sarcastic chimes about “her new man.” For a full-out rock star vibe, some tattoos and slightly ’80s flair, rock out to the River City Rebels.

So:El Momento

The new jazz collection from Ludovic Navarro, a.k.a. St. Germain, is retro and completely chill. A renowned jazz master, he blends sax, flute and percussion perfectly, creating smooth retro grooves. For some tracks, the instrumentals are accented by a Barry White-esque voice. Nine tracks of jazz and slick sounds, So: El is perfect for entertaining.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j. davila 1 @um iami. edu.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...