Discover the world in One Week

Discover cultures, new languages and diversity. The 38th annual International Week (I-Week), sponsored by the Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO), kicked off last Friday with opening ceremonies. This year’s theme, “Discover,” will showcase different cultures from all over the globe.

“We wanted to have a broader theme,” Gayle Mendoza, I-Week chair, said. “Discover culture and traditions. All the hard work will pay off-I expect everything to go extremely well.”

The UC Patio was center stage for the opening ceremonies that began with Asia Day and One Night of Asia, with displays by the various international organizations, including the Korean Student Association and the Indian Student Association (ISA).

“It helps students see other parts of the world,” Aditi Kothekar, junior and ISA member, said. “This is accessible to them, and it brings students together.”

The mood was festive and energetic as students walked through the patio, full of flags representing various countries and people dancing to upbeat music. Those in attendance were treated to Indian food, handcrafts from Thailand and Korea, and even palm reading.

“This was my first time attending I-Week at UM because I just transferred,” Vicky Rodriguez, junior, said. “I really like that the school has something like this because I’ve never seen it before. I especially like that the days were organized around themes like Asia Day.”

Mr. and Ms. International, Gianluca Matulli and Shana Valliani, also joined opening ceremonies.

“I wanted to represent my background and meet people from different cultures,” Valliani said. “Events like this are important so we can be aware of other cultures and learn about them.”

Students who attend all events can enter a raffle with a grand prize of a 300-dollar travel voucher for anywhere in the world.

Despite the heat, the turnout of students on Friday was high.

“Every year it gets bigger and better,” Ciara Mohamed, COISO president, said. “I’m impressed and excited-it can only get better.”

I-Week will conclude on Saturday with the COISO Feast of Nations banquet. Tickets can be purchased at any of the I-Week events.

I-Week Schedule:
Monday
Middle Eastern Day
& Night

Tuesday
Africa Day & Night

Wednesday
European Day

Thursday
Hometown U.S.A. Day
& Pacific Night

Friday
Latin Day
& Caribbean Night

Saturday
COISO Banquet, 7 p.m. Wyndham Miami International Airport Hotel

Vanessa Krause can be contacted at v.krause@umiami.edu.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...