Discover the world in One Week

Discover cultures, new languages and diversity. The 38th annual International Week (I-Week), sponsored by the Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO), kicked off last Friday with opening ceremonies. This year’s theme, “Discover,” will showcase different cultures from all over the globe.

“We wanted to have a broader theme,” Gayle Mendoza, I-Week chair, said. “Discover culture and traditions. All the hard work will pay off-I expect everything to go extremely well.”

The UC Patio was center stage for the opening ceremonies that began with Asia Day and One Night of Asia, with displays by the various international organizations, including the Korean Student Association and the Indian Student Association (ISA).

“It helps students see other parts of the world,” Aditi Kothekar, junior and ISA member, said. “This is accessible to them, and it brings students together.”

The mood was festive and energetic as students walked through the patio, full of flags representing various countries and people dancing to upbeat music. Those in attendance were treated to Indian food, handcrafts from Thailand and Korea, and even palm reading.

“This was my first time attending I-Week at UM because I just transferred,” Vicky Rodriguez, junior, said. “I really like that the school has something like this because I’ve never seen it before. I especially like that the days were organized around themes like Asia Day.”

Mr. and Ms. International, Gianluca Matulli and Shana Valliani, also joined opening ceremonies.

“I wanted to represent my background and meet people from different cultures,” Valliani said. “Events like this are important so we can be aware of other cultures and learn about them.”

Students who attend all events can enter a raffle with a grand prize of a 300-dollar travel voucher for anywhere in the world.

Despite the heat, the turnout of students on Friday was high.

“Every year it gets bigger and better,” Ciara Mohamed, COISO president, said. “I’m impressed and excited-it can only get better.”

I-Week will conclude on Saturday with the COISO Feast of Nations banquet. Tickets can be purchased at any of the I-Week events.

I-Week Schedule:
Monday
Middle Eastern Day
& Night

Tuesday
Africa Day & Night

Wednesday
European Day

Thursday
Hometown U.S.A. Day
& Pacific Night

Friday
Latin Day
& Caribbean Night

Saturday
COISO Banquet, 7 p.m. Wyndham Miami International Airport Hotel

Vanessa Krause can be contacted at v.krause@umiami.edu.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...