Competing through pain

Brenda Faluade is already making her mark in women’s track and field in just her second year at Miami. Our Chris Hamilton sat down with the All-American jumper.

The Hurricane: What is your favorite event?

Brenda Faluade: Either the long jump or triple jump. Depending on the day either could be my favorite.

TH: Why should people pay attention to women’s track and field?

BF: Honestly, I don’t think we get enough respect. After indoor nationals, which we won, I think we get more, but on campus I don’t think we get enough.

TH: What is one race that you would pay to see?

BF: I would pay to see Flo-Jo [Florence Griffith-Joyner] run the 100-meter and 200-meter against today’s top athletes.

TH: Would she win?

BF: Oh, most definitely.

TH: Is there any rivalry between the track team and the field team?

BF: There is a little joke. The track people think because they run more, that they are in greater shape than us.

TH: Which is more important: setting a personal record or seeing your team finish first in the meet?

BF: Is this a trick question? [laughs]I feel like if I set a personal record and everyone else does what they are supposed to do, then it’s a win-win situation

TH: What is the hardest aspect of running track?

BF: Training. Jumping is so stressful and your body and joints. A lot of us have knee and ankle problems. During practice it hard for us to work beyond the pain sometimes, but we push each other through it.

TH: We’ve seen the commercial played during the NCAA season that says, “Most of us will go professional in something other than sports.” What is your “something other?”

BF: I would like to be a dentist or open up my own exercise clinic.

TH: Some of the best athletes at this school are females: Tina Miller with golf, Megan Bradley in tennis and Tamara James in basketball. Who, if anyone, from track and field could you put in the same category?

BF: I would have to say Kim Barrett. She does the discus, weight throw and shot put. She is in a class of her own.

TH: Joey Gathright, an outfielder for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays baseball team, says he jumps over cars for fun. Is there anything you like to jump for fun?

BF: I jumped fences in the past, not like running away from the cops or anything though. [laughs]Sometimes, I’ll jump up and grab the basketball rim for fun.

TH: Is track just something that you’ve always been good at or did you really have to work at it?

BF: It’s something I’ve always been good at. I used to run every event back in junior high. I guess I was blessed to have the natural talent.

TH: If you could ask any one person any one question, what would it be?

BF: I would ask Jackie Joyner-Kersee, who holds the world record in long jump, what I could do to achieve the same outcomes.

Chris Hamilton can be contacted at c.hamilton2@umiami.edu.

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...