Briefs – TRACK AND FIELD * TENNIS

Women’s Track & Field

University of Miami senior Kim Barrett won the shot put and set a new school record with a toss of 17.20 meters (56-05.25) at the Rice Bayou Classic in Houston, Texas.

Barrett’s throw is the best in the nation this season and is an NCAA regional qualifier. Competing in the shot put for the first time this outdoor season after capturing the NCAA Indoor title earlier last month, Barrett dominated the field on Saturday winning by nearly three feet.

Miami senior Adrienne Moss placed third in the shot put with an NCAA regional qualifying mark of 14.91 meters (48-11.00). Not to be outdone, freshman Khadija Talley placed fourth in the discus with an NCAA regional qualifying mark of 47.43 meters (155-07.00).

Also competing this weekend was junior Melanie Schultz at the USF Invitational in Tampa, Fla. Schultz won the 1,500-meters with at time of 4:30.

The Hurricane women return at the Texas Relays, April 6 to 9, in Austin, Texas.

Women’s Tennis

The 11th-ranked University of Miami women’s tennis team remained undefeated in Atlantic Coast Conference action and extended their winning streak to 13 matches when they won four of six singles matches to top No. 10 Duke, 4-3, Saturday afternoon at the Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center in Durham, N.C.

With the win the Hurricanes improve to 16-2 overall and 7-0 in the ACC, while Duke falls to 11-5, 2-1 ACC.

The Blue Devils won the doubles point after taking two out of the three doubles matches. Miami’s fourth ranked tandem of senior Megan Bradley and sophomore Audrey Banada defeated Duke’s Tory Zawacki/ Kristin Cargill pair 8-1 to claim Miami’s only doubles win.

Bradley, the country’s No. 1 ranked player, downed No. 39 Katie Blaszak 6-1, 6-1 from the No. 1 singles spot, to tie the match score at one-all.

Banada followed suit with a 6-1, 6-1 straight set victory over Zawacki at the No. 6 position to put the Hurricanes up 2-1.

Duke claimed wins at the No. 5 and No. 2 positions to take a 3-2 lead before junior Melissa Applebaum topped Saras Arasu 6-3, 6-4 at No. 3 to tie the score 3-all.

The match came down to the No. 4 slot where freshman Patricia Starzyk, down in the first set, battled back to win in a tie breaker 7-6 (8-6) and the second set, 6-4, to top Celia Deltour and clinch the win for the Hurricanes.

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...