Second fraternity suspended

For the second time in two weeks, a UM fraternity has been suspended. The Epsilon Omega Chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha (Lambda Chi) at the University was issued a suspension earlier this week, with no confirmation of the cause.

“The only thing I can share with you is that the suspension came from the national headquarters in Indianapolis, Ind. on Saturday,” Greg Singleton, associate dean of students, said. “We’re investigating some allegations and national fraternity staff is on their way in.”

According to Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president of Student Affairs, the suspension was due to violations of the UM Code of Conduct. At this point, the suspension is indefinite. Singleton said that the Lambda Chi suspension was unrelated to last week’s Pi Kappa Alpha (Pike) suspension.

“We’ve always expected our organizations to uphold their responsibilities to their national organizations and the University,” Singleton said, explaining that all organizations were held to the same scrutiny. “When things are brought to the University’s attention, we do a thorough investigation of any allegation.”

The Pike investigation is ongoing. Singleton said that he met with representatives from the national headquarters last Tuesday, and there is no conclusion yet.

>> The Hurricane will continue to follow up on this issue as details become available.

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...