Briefs – SWIMMING AND DIVING * VOLLEYBALL

Swimming & Diving

University of Miami divers Jenna Dreyer and Miguel Velazquez became the first-ever recipients of the Atlantic Coast Conference Diver of the Year award when the conference announced the men’s and women’s ACC swimming and diving honors Wednesday. All awards were determined by a vote of the league’s head coaches.

Dreyer, a Port Elizabeth, South Africa, native, placed sixth on the one-meter board at the NCAA Championship to earn first-team All-America honors. The freshman also garnered honorable mention All-America accolades on the three-meter and 10-meter platform boards. Dreyer was awarded All-Conference honors for her first-place finish on the one-meter board and second-place finish on the three-meter board. She was named the ACC Diver of the Meet, having set a new ACC Championship record with a score of 320.75 on the one-meter board.

Velazquez, a native of Mexico City, Mexico, was named a first-team All-American after placing third on the 10-meter platform board and fifth on the three-meter board at the NCAA Championship. He also earned honorable mention All-America honors for his performance on the one-meter board. Velazquez, a senior, was named the ACC Diver of the Meet, having placed first on both the one and three-meter boards at the ACC Championship.

Volleyball

The University of Miami volleyball squad took part in a Spring match against Northwestern at the South Florida Spring Tournament Saturday, March 26.

The Hurricanes and the Wildcats performed drills in the morning before playing a three-game match in the afternoon.

Head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch was pleased with the team’s performance in their second match of the spring, “Our passing is progressing. We are definitely getting stronger and improving in all areas.”

Lantagne Welch was impressed with the play of redshirt sophomore Frannie Savage, sophomore Ann Gallo and junior Katalin Kozak.

“Frannie Savage had a great day playing middle the entire time. She is getting to be really consistent and is cutting down on her errors. She is becoming a very smart player,” Lantagne Welch said.

The Hurricanes continue spring practice and will next face Barry, last season’s NCAA Division II Champions, Florida International and Florida Atlantic in the Knight Sports Complex on April 9.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...