Pike suspended; fraternity under investigation

The UM Gamma Omega chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha (Pike) charter was suspended earlier this week.

“The international fraternity-located in Memphis, Tennessee-suspended the chapter effective Monday afternoon,” said Greg Singleton, Associate Dean of students. “It’s an initial 30-day suspension and there will be an extensive investigation both from the national fraternity and the University working in concert.”

Pike is accused of violations of international fraternity policy and the University Code of Conduct, as well as being financially delinquent to the national organization, Singleton said.

“The University is working closely with national headquarters, local alumni and the executive director,” said Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president of Student Affairs. “In the interim, all chapter related activities have been suspended, pending the outcome of the inquiry.”

According to Singleton, the brothers will not have to move out of their house during the investigation.

“We expect all of our student organizations to adhere to both University policy and state law, and while we strongly support our Greek organizations on campus, there are also expectations of membership on campus,” Singleton said.

Singleton will be meeting with national representatives of the fraternity some time next week. At this time, there has been no decision made concerning the future of Pike.

>> The Hurricane will continue to follow up on this issue as details become available.

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...