Pike suspended; fraternity under investigation

The UM Gamma Omega chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha (Pike) charter was suspended earlier this week.

“The international fraternity-located in Memphis, Tennessee-suspended the chapter effective Monday afternoon,” said Greg Singleton, Associate Dean of students. “It’s an initial 30-day suspension and there will be an extensive investigation both from the national fraternity and the University working in concert.”

Pike is accused of violations of international fraternity policy and the University Code of Conduct, as well as being financially delinquent to the national organization, Singleton said.

“The University is working closely with national headquarters, local alumni and the executive director,” said Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president of Student Affairs. “In the interim, all chapter related activities have been suspended, pending the outcome of the inquiry.”

According to Singleton, the brothers will not have to move out of their house during the investigation.

“We expect all of our student organizations to adhere to both University policy and state law, and while we strongly support our Greek organizations on campus, there are also expectations of membership on campus,” Singleton said.

Singleton will be meeting with national representatives of the fraternity some time next week. At this time, there has been no decision made concerning the future of Pike.

>> The Hurricane will continue to follow up on this issue as details become available.

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...