Breaking NEW ground

President Donna Shalala, along with Chairman of the Board of Trustees Dean Colson and Mayor of Coral Gables Don Slesnick, officially broke ground on University Village last Wednesday, March 23. The Village will be on 12 landscaped acres near Red Road and Brescia Avenue. This will be the first new housing development on campus in 35 years, with 800 singles in 271 units for upperclassmen, law and graduate students. Shalala hopes that the creation of such housing will help encourage students, who may otherwise have lived off campus, to stay involved in campus activities.

“Our students are thrilled about this new housing option which will allow them to stay involved in the UM community,” Shalala said.

As of now, only 27 percent of students can live on campus. The Village will include landscaped lawns, additional security for the area and extra parking for residents. The complex will also have a full-time manager. After 13 years of planning thusfar, University Village is scheduled to be completed by 2006.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...