Baseball faces toughest test of season vs Georgia Tech

After securing its second ACC series win, the University of Miami baseball team will take on conference opponent Georgia Tech at home this weekend, beginning Friday night.

The Hurricanes defeated Wake Forest in last weekend’s series opener with a final score of 11-2. Cesar Carrillo led the effort as the starting pitcher, lasting seven innings without allowing the Yellow Jackets to score.

The ‘Canes suffered a loss in the second game of the series but clinched the series win during the final game Sunday, finishing 12-4. Sophomore Ricky Orta made his way into the pitching rotation once again as the starting pitcher in the last game of the series. He proved to be a valuable thrower and was able to endure seven innings of play.

“I just concentrate on going out there and pitching as many strikes as possible, hoping to only have to throw three times to get the batter out,” Orta said.

Four home runs were hit during the game by junior Ryan Braun, freshman Walter Diaz and sophomores Eddy Rodriguez and Danny Valencia. Braun’s home run was the 36th of his career, putting him at ninth place in the UM all-time record book.

The Yellow Jackets are currently at the top of the ACC with a 9-0 record and are 19-2 overall, while Miami holds the No. 3 position behind Florida State. According to the newly released weekly polls, Georgia Tech has surpassed the ‘Canes, who had been seeded first in the coaches’ preseason polls. The meeting between the two teams will be an exciting series to watch as the Hurricanes work to reclaim their No. 1 position.

Last season the opponents met on the Yellow Jackets’ territory in Atlanta. After losing the first game of the road series by thirteen runs, the ‘Canes came back to take the final two games and the overall series victory, finishing 9-7 and 16-13 respectively. This year the Yellow Jackets are ready to sting, especially with a conference win at stake.

In other news, Chris Perez’s suspension has been lifted after sitting out 10 games; however, he will not make it into the starting rotation for this weekend’s series. Carrillo will remain the top pitcher, Orta will move up to the No. 2 position and senior Dan Touchet will fall to the No. 3 spot against Georgia Tech.

“We are playing a club with one of the best offenses on our schedule this weekend,” Head Coach Jim Morris said. “To prepare the team we will be watching footage of their games this season and defining their weaknesses. Knowing their weak points and playing our strengths will be the strategy for the series.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 2 seed Clemson used a six-run sixth to push past seventh-seeded Miami Thursday night. ...

Kevin Arreaga was the first Cane in action on Thursday and he wasted little time punching his ticket ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...