Baseball faces toughest test of season vs Georgia Tech

After securing its second ACC series win, the University of Miami baseball team will take on conference opponent Georgia Tech at home this weekend, beginning Friday night.

The Hurricanes defeated Wake Forest in last weekend’s series opener with a final score of 11-2. Cesar Carrillo led the effort as the starting pitcher, lasting seven innings without allowing the Yellow Jackets to score.

The ‘Canes suffered a loss in the second game of the series but clinched the series win during the final game Sunday, finishing 12-4. Sophomore Ricky Orta made his way into the pitching rotation once again as the starting pitcher in the last game of the series. He proved to be a valuable thrower and was able to endure seven innings of play.

“I just concentrate on going out there and pitching as many strikes as possible, hoping to only have to throw three times to get the batter out,” Orta said.

Four home runs were hit during the game by junior Ryan Braun, freshman Walter Diaz and sophomores Eddy Rodriguez and Danny Valencia. Braun’s home run was the 36th of his career, putting him at ninth place in the UM all-time record book.

The Yellow Jackets are currently at the top of the ACC with a 9-0 record and are 19-2 overall, while Miami holds the No. 3 position behind Florida State. According to the newly released weekly polls, Georgia Tech has surpassed the ‘Canes, who had been seeded first in the coaches’ preseason polls. The meeting between the two teams will be an exciting series to watch as the Hurricanes work to reclaim their No. 1 position.

Last season the opponents met on the Yellow Jackets’ territory in Atlanta. After losing the first game of the road series by thirteen runs, the ‘Canes came back to take the final two games and the overall series victory, finishing 9-7 and 16-13 respectively. This year the Yellow Jackets are ready to sting, especially with a conference win at stake.

In other news, Chris Perez’s suspension has been lifted after sitting out 10 games; however, he will not make it into the starting rotation for this weekend’s series. Carrillo will remain the top pitcher, Orta will move up to the No. 2 position and senior Dan Touchet will fall to the No. 3 spot against Georgia Tech.

“We are playing a club with one of the best offenses on our schedule this weekend,” Head Coach Jim Morris said. “To prepare the team we will be watching footage of their games this season and defining their weaknesses. Knowing their weak points and playing our strengths will be the strategy for the series.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...