Baseball faces toughest test of season vs Georgia Tech

After securing its second ACC series win, the University of Miami baseball team will take on conference opponent Georgia Tech at home this weekend, beginning Friday night.

The Hurricanes defeated Wake Forest in last weekend’s series opener with a final score of 11-2. Cesar Carrillo led the effort as the starting pitcher, lasting seven innings without allowing the Yellow Jackets to score.

The ‘Canes suffered a loss in the second game of the series but clinched the series win during the final game Sunday, finishing 12-4. Sophomore Ricky Orta made his way into the pitching rotation once again as the starting pitcher in the last game of the series. He proved to be a valuable thrower and was able to endure seven innings of play.

“I just concentrate on going out there and pitching as many strikes as possible, hoping to only have to throw three times to get the batter out,” Orta said.

Four home runs were hit during the game by junior Ryan Braun, freshman Walter Diaz and sophomores Eddy Rodriguez and Danny Valencia. Braun’s home run was the 36th of his career, putting him at ninth place in the UM all-time record book.

The Yellow Jackets are currently at the top of the ACC with a 9-0 record and are 19-2 overall, while Miami holds the No. 3 position behind Florida State. According to the newly released weekly polls, Georgia Tech has surpassed the ‘Canes, who had been seeded first in the coaches’ preseason polls. The meeting between the two teams will be an exciting series to watch as the Hurricanes work to reclaim their No. 1 position.

Last season the opponents met on the Yellow Jackets’ territory in Atlanta. After losing the first game of the road series by thirteen runs, the ‘Canes came back to take the final two games and the overall series victory, finishing 9-7 and 16-13 respectively. This year the Yellow Jackets are ready to sting, especially with a conference win at stake.

In other news, Chris Perez’s suspension has been lifted after sitting out 10 games; however, he will not make it into the starting rotation for this weekend’s series. Carrillo will remain the top pitcher, Orta will move up to the No. 2 position and senior Dan Touchet will fall to the No. 3 spot against Georgia Tech.

“We are playing a club with one of the best offenses on our schedule this weekend,” Head Coach Jim Morris said. “To prepare the team we will be watching footage of their games this season and defining their weaknesses. Knowing their weak points and playing our strengths will be the strategy for the series.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...