Aida lights up the stage

After attending a performance of Aida at the Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theater in Coral Gables, I realized I’ve been missing out.

The theater, located on Miracle Mile, is small. The audience there ranged from young children to mature theater goers.

Directed by David Arisco, with music by Elton John and lyrics by Tim Rice, Aida was pleasing overall.

The actors were skilled performers, some of which were Floridians, though many were touring professionals. Amneris, played by Melanie Penn, sang beautifully, captivating audience members with her delicate but powerful voice. Radames was performed strongly by Christopher Kent. The lead, Aida, was performed by Desmon Walker, who clearly stole the show. Her voice far surpassed the voices of her fellow actors, and her presence demanded attention. Currently working for the Miami-Dade County Department of Park and Recreation/Devision of Arts and Culture, she should be encouraged to pursue a professional, full-time acting career.

The plot of the musical revolves around Aida, a Nubian Princess. After being captured, she is made Amneris’ personal slave. Amneris, also a princess, is to wed Radames, who falls in love with Aida. Aida’s father, the Nubian King, is captured, only then to be helped by Radames and the Nubian slaves to escape. Aida remains with Ramades and the two are persecuted for their actions and sentenced to death.

Just as the story begins with a scene of a museum, it ends with Aida and Ramedes as modern characters who make eye contact in the museum and realize a past connection, ending the show with a kiss.

The show will continue through April 10th, with performances Wed. – Sat. at 8p.m. and Sat. and Sun. at 2 p.m.

>> For more information, visit www.actorsplayhouse.org.

Aj Sarcione can be contacted at a.sarcione@umiami.edu.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Aida lights up the stage”

1. AdamSandl says:

Youtube Adam Sandler …

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...