CD REVIEW – EISLEY Room Noises

Following its two EP releases in 2003, Eisley presents its first full-length album -although Room Noises is just that. A band composed of three sisters, their brother and their best friend, Eisley’s sound is unique-if unique means whiny and dragging.

The album opens with a dragging sound that is repeated throughout. One could say there is an original sound, a sound that mimics The Cardigans and plays off of the whining vocals of Evanescence. The problem is, Evanescence music is ear pleasing, whereas Eisley penetrates your ear with a depressing feel.

The album’s first song, “Memories,” revolves around ideas of farming, which supports the band members’ farm children look in a picture on the album.

“Golly Sandra,” the fourth track on the album, finally picks up, but the hokey-pokey feel is a poor attempt to show another side of the band. You still get the legato lines that are heavy in weight. This album could be played in a dorm room while reading or studying -it’s not going to keep your attention. The music itself changes, but the voices maintain a monotonous feel, particularly in “Plenty of Paper.” The band tries to move “Have Nagilar” along with pep, but the voices maintain their dragging feel by linking the words together vocally.

This is the kind of album one is unlikely to put in a CD player more than once. It’s a good thing the band members clap for themselves at the end of their final song on the album, because they are the only ones.

Jake Stone can be contacted at j.stone@umiami.edu.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...