UMNEWS – University of Miami team raises most for ‘Walk for the Animals’

Fifteen hundred animal lovers and their dogs turned out for the Humane Society of Greater Miami’s annual Walk for the Animals on Feb. 26 at Bayfront Park in Downtown Miami. President Donna Shalala and her dog “Sweetie” served as grand marshals at the event, which raised over $104,000 for the Society’s pets, programs and services.

Joining Shalala at the front of the walk were Hall of Fame basketball legend Rick Barry and Olympic silver medalist and 2004 UM graduate Lauryn Williams.

Jim Joseph, University of Miami’s Director of Cash Operations, was the Walk for the Animals top individual fundraiser, with $7,425 in pledges. Joseph won a weekend stay at the Mandarin Oriental Miami and a framed official Walk for the Animals poster signed by world-renowned artist Marc Tetro. The walk’s top Pack of adult walkers was the University of Miami, with $12,179 in pledges, winning a party at Scotty’s Landing in Coconut Grove. The top Kids Pack was won by Miami Country Day School Upper Class with $1,925, winning a party at GameWorks.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...