UMNEWS – University of Miami team raises most for ‘Walk for the Animals’

Fifteen hundred animal lovers and their dogs turned out for the Humane Society of Greater Miami’s annual Walk for the Animals on Feb. 26 at Bayfront Park in Downtown Miami. President Donna Shalala and her dog “Sweetie” served as grand marshals at the event, which raised over $104,000 for the Society’s pets, programs and services.

Joining Shalala at the front of the walk were Hall of Fame basketball legend Rick Barry and Olympic silver medalist and 2004 UM graduate Lauryn Williams.

Jim Joseph, University of Miami’s Director of Cash Operations, was the Walk for the Animals top individual fundraiser, with $7,425 in pledges. Joseph won a weekend stay at the Mandarin Oriental Miami and a framed official Walk for the Animals poster signed by world-renowned artist Marc Tetro. The walk’s top Pack of adult walkers was the University of Miami, with $12,179 in pledges, winning a party at Scotty’s Landing in Coconut Grove. The top Kids Pack was won by Miami Country Day School Upper Class with $1,925, winning a party at GameWorks.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...