PLAYER PROFILE – Imported Excellence

At the start of the 2005 spring semester, a fresh face appeared on the Hurricanes’ women’s tennis team when Austria native Patricia Starzyk transferred to the University of Miami.

While she still adjusts to moving to an entirely unfamiliar country, her transition into the world of American tennis is seamless. In Austria, Starzyk was the national champion from 1994 to 2000. Her abilities and authority on the court make her a dominant part of Miami’s tennis squad. Since the start of her first season as a ‘Cane, Starzyk has maintained an undefeated singles record at the fourth and fifth singles positions.

Starzyk first became interested in the game of tennis when she watched her father and brother play recreationally. She asked her father to teach her and from the age of 10, Starzyk began consistently working at becoming a serious tennis player. As her skills improved, so did the list of accolades that included a number of women’s open tournaments and International Tennis Federation victories in countries such as Indonesia and Malaysia.

Starzyk first initiated correspondence with the University of Miami’s tennis team in an attempt to come to America and play on a competitive team.

“I knew several girls in Austria that went to universities in the United States. For me, it became a dream to play tennis on a team and get an American degree,” Starzyk said. “I had heard of the reputation Miami’s tennis team had so I contacted them.”

After seeing the incredible r

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...