Elsewhere – Princeton students engineer fingerprint entrance to dorm room

(U-WIRE) PRINCETON, N.J.-Dan Halpern-Leister ’07 no longer fumbles for his keys when he approaches his Princeton University dorm room. He touches a computer mouse mounted on the wall, then presses his forefinger to a touchpad. Inside a computer whirs, and the door to 232 Clapp Hall unlocks.

Halpern-Leister and hallmate Alec Chapman ’07 engineered the door to respond to the touch of the four roommates.

Halpern-Leistner had the idea in September and worked on it throughout fall semester. The fingerprints of Halpern-Leister and his three roommates-sophomores Yeong Dae Kwon, Marcus Lampert and Mark Salzman-are programmed as valid entries.

Chapman joined the project in November, and the two finished on Feb. 18.

The device’s recognition capability is made possible by a fingerprint reader, most likely designed for office employees to log onto their own computers without typing. Halpern-Leistner purchased it on eBay for less than $30.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...