Elsewhere – Princeton students engineer fingerprint entrance to dorm room

(U-WIRE) PRINCETON, N.J.-Dan Halpern-Leister ’07 no longer fumbles for his keys when he approaches his Princeton University dorm room. He touches a computer mouse mounted on the wall, then presses his forefinger to a touchpad. Inside a computer whirs, and the door to 232 Clapp Hall unlocks.

Halpern-Leister and hallmate Alec Chapman ’07 engineered the door to respond to the touch of the four roommates.

Halpern-Leistner had the idea in September and worked on it throughout fall semester. The fingerprints of Halpern-Leister and his three roommates-sophomores Yeong Dae Kwon, Marcus Lampert and Mark Salzman-are programmed as valid entries.

Chapman joined the project in November, and the two finished on Feb. 18.

The device’s recognition capability is made possible by a fingerprint reader, most likely designed for office employees to log onto their own computers without typing. Halpern-Leistner purchased it on eBay for less than $30.

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...