UMNEWS – UM Center on Aging receives $1 million grant

The Center on Aging at the University of Miami has received a $1 million grant from Pfizer Inc., the worldwide leader in pharmaceutical research and development. The grant will be used to help establish a Center for Advanced Studies on Aging focused not just on illness prevention, but on optimizing quality of life.

“The initiative, catalyzed by Pfizer, will support the creation of this special new project that will emphasize the importance of bringing together the best minds in aging, business, the health professions and others to address the bittersweet effects of the dramatic increase of older persons in the United States and throughout the world,” said Carl Eisdorfer, Ph.D., M.D., Director of the University of Miami Center on Aging. “Our emphasis is on enhancing the ability of older people to have a positive influence on their own lives and that of their community.”

According to Census data, approximately 35 million Americans are 65 or older. In the next few decades, the number of people over 65 in the United States is expected to double as people are living longer and baby boomers will advance in age.

“The growing aging population will have a profound impact on society, especially when it comes to healthcare,” said Joseph M. Feczko, M.D., President, Worldwide Development, and Executive Vice President of Pfizer Global Research and Development. “Pfizer shares the University of Miami’s commitment to improving the health and wellness of older Americans and we are proud to contribute to their efforts.”

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...