UMNEWS – UM Center on Aging receives $1 million grant

The Center on Aging at the University of Miami has received a $1 million grant from Pfizer Inc., the worldwide leader in pharmaceutical research and development. The grant will be used to help establish a Center for Advanced Studies on Aging focused not just on illness prevention, but on optimizing quality of life.

“The initiative, catalyzed by Pfizer, will support the creation of this special new project that will emphasize the importance of bringing together the best minds in aging, business, the health professions and others to address the bittersweet effects of the dramatic increase of older persons in the United States and throughout the world,” said Carl Eisdorfer, Ph.D., M.D., Director of the University of Miami Center on Aging. “Our emphasis is on enhancing the ability of older people to have a positive influence on their own lives and that of their community.”

According to Census data, approximately 35 million Americans are 65 or older. In the next few decades, the number of people over 65 in the United States is expected to double as people are living longer and baby boomers will advance in age.

“The growing aging population will have a profound impact on society, especially when it comes to healthcare,” said Joseph M. Feczko, M.D., President, Worldwide Development, and Executive Vice President of Pfizer Global Research and Development. “Pfizer shares the University of Miami’s commitment to improving the health and wellness of older Americans and we are proud to contribute to their efforts.”

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

University leaders from the Americas explore creating a Hemispheric University Consortium to work to ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...