LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Re: “Tips on how to overhaul SG Senate,” 2/25

Donald Trump isn’t the CEO of UM SG Senate, Inc., and while Don Donelson may be trying to imitate his demeanor, I would suggest he take a closer look at “unique demographic” constituencies before he tosses them out as examples of groups causing inefficiency in Student Government.

Yes, I would agree some constituents are double represented, for example there are seven Commuter Senators as well as an Association of Commuter Students Senator, so it could easily be argued that they have highly similar goals and constituents. Although, given the number of commuter students to be represented this still seems fair.

However using SpectrUM as an example of this double representation was a very poor choice.

While there may “be a few GBLT students in the School of Business”, this does not mean that a School of Business Senator could or would represent their needs and demands. If GLBT students live in the dorms, similarly this does not mean that a residential senator would represent them either.

Donelson asks, “Why isn’t it good enough that those students be represented by the Senators elected from the more broad constituencies?”

The simple answer is because “those” students will not be represented by their constituent senators. Quite simply, GLBT students do not have the voting power to be recognized by a broader constituency senator running for election or one already seated. If these particular senators wish to support or initiate assistance to the GLBT community, they do so upon their own volition, and cannot be relied upon for such assistance.

I hope that Donelson, and others, realize that a senator elected from a broad constituency cannot promise to uphold the rights and needs of our GLBT community, which is important to ensuring the protection of diversity on campus.

Sincerely,

Amy S. Lawrence

SpectrUM Senate Representative

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...