JD Natasha rocks the world of Latin music

The Latin music world is about to get rocked-and 16-year-old JD Natasha is standing center stage. Leaving at home the congas and tambores, this new artist brings something a little more unconventional: a dirty, distorted guitar and teenage honesty.

Donning a punk rock attitude laced with chic style and startling maturity, Natasha finds herself bridging a gap between American and Latin culture, much like Shakira did years ago.

But it was bound to happen again. In an industry dominated by the ballads of amor and the pulse of meregenue and salsa, Natasha says she couldn’t help but do something a little off-center.

“[My music] is different from everything in the Latin market because a lot of people think inside the box,” says the bilingual rocker, who is a native of Miami. “But I can’t work with rules.”

So she decided to bend them, playing harder rock songs in Spanish and English with a chameleon-like voice that demanded attention-and she got it.

In a year, she scored a record deal on EMI Latin, performed worldwide, and on July 13 released her debut album Imperfect/Imperfecta, named by the famed Emilio Estefan as one of the best albums in 2004.

Her journey to began when she was born Natasha Due

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...