UMNEWS – UM names new director for the Center for Hemispheric Policy

Dr. Susan Kaufman Purcell has been named director of the new Center for Hemispheric Policy. Purcell lives in New York City where she has served as vice president of the Council of the Americas, a not-for-profit business organization, for the past 16 years.

“This is wonderful news for the University and is a significant milestone in our strategy to capitalize on our expertise as well as our location here in Miami,” said University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala. “We have found a first-rate leader for our new Center for Hemispheric Policy, especially with regard to Latin America and the Caribbean. Dr. Purcell will build a policy enterprise second to none.”

Purcell has more than 30 years of experience working within Latin America and the Caribbean. She has lived in Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico and Brazil.

Purcell will join UM in March and will begin re-structuring and hiring her staff, including an Associate Director who will help assemble interdisciplinary teams to address specific projects. Purcell plans to engage the University community as well as business leaders, elected officials and the Greater Miami community.

The Center for Hemispheric Policy-which replaces the North-South Center-will be examining the relationship of the United States within the hemisphere. Areas of interest will include economic development and trade, healthcare and medical research, environmental programs, education, infrastructure, politics and security.

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 2 seed Clemson used a six-run sixth to push past seventh-seeded Miami Thursday night. ...

Kevin Arreaga was the first Cane in action on Thursday and he wasted little time punching his ticket ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...