UMNEWS – UM names new director for the Center for Hemispheric Policy

Dr. Susan Kaufman Purcell has been named director of the new Center for Hemispheric Policy. Purcell lives in New York City where she has served as vice president of the Council of the Americas, a not-for-profit business organization, for the past 16 years.

“This is wonderful news for the University and is a significant milestone in our strategy to capitalize on our expertise as well as our location here in Miami,” said University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala. “We have found a first-rate leader for our new Center for Hemispheric Policy, especially with regard to Latin America and the Caribbean. Dr. Purcell will build a policy enterprise second to none.”

Purcell has more than 30 years of experience working within Latin America and the Caribbean. She has lived in Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico and Brazil.

Purcell will join UM in March and will begin re-structuring and hiring her staff, including an Associate Director who will help assemble interdisciplinary teams to address specific projects. Purcell plans to engage the University community as well as business leaders, elected officials and the Greater Miami community.

The Center for Hemispheric Policy-which replaces the North-South Center-will be examining the relationship of the United States within the hemisphere. Areas of interest will include economic development and trade, healthcare and medical research, environmental programs, education, infrastructure, politics and security.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...