LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Re: “To the new Rock 93.1: You’re my hero!”, 2/22

Shameful what some will do for a story!

As a UM alum and Miami native I feel it’s my obligation to make sure you understand that there is only one radio station worth listening to in South Florida.

The Voice, WVUM.

For a Hurricane writer to go out on the prowl for other-than-mainstream listening and fail to mention The Voice is incomprehensible.

For years WVUM operated at 365 watts (the old saying was 1 rock-solid watt for every day of the year). It was and still is a collection of oddball volunteer DJs, playing music that you simply wouldn’t hear anywhere else.

Isn’t that what you want from radio-a surprise?

If you want your daily dose of the pre-chewed ’90s, and you’re happy with robots program directors and screaming car lot commercials…that’s cool too. I’ve seen modern rock slide all the way down the dial. When 93 Rock hits the skids Miami’s only rock choice may be The Voice, 90.5 FM! Somewhere between NPR and the Bible thumpers, WVUM is looking forward and has been kicking out real rock with real rock-n-roll DJs for decades. Certainly worth a mention anytime you write about radio.

Don’t get me started,

Dan Hardie

Alum

PS: ‘Canes often overlook the great things campus has to offer. WVUM has always got the cold shoulder from the pop-happy masses, but the Lowe Art Museum and Ring Theater, the Beaumont Cinema and the incredible libraries-not to mention the exquisite campus itself deserve more attention & appreciation.

PPS: If I sound like an old fart, it’s because I am. So old in fact that I can refer to the Cosford Cinema as the Beaumont and never miss a beat. That’s old Minkus. Now listen to The Voice and go write an article about that gem, you hippie.

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...