Hurricanes ready to forget about UF

The ‘Canes return home this weekend for a three-game series against George Washington University after losing their last series to Florida in Gainesville.

The team was so sick early in the week that Head Coach Jim Morris cancelled Tuesday’s practice. It went back to work on Wednesday and is expected to be at full strength by the series opener.

The two teams have not met since 1996 when the ‘Canes swept the Colonials. GW returns with new Head Coach Steve Mrowka to challenge the ‘Canes. Miami holds an undefeated record against the Colonials, 9-0.

The ‘Canes are coming off their first series loss of the season to the Gators. The 2-1 loss in extra innings gave the Gators the momentum to take the series in the third game.

The Colonials have only completed one series in the season aside from the opener won against Norfolk State. They managed the first win 10-5 but then lost the last two games to Georgia Southern. The team ranks second in the Atlantic 10 and is working toward its first conference championship.

Despite stellar performances in the previous series, sophomore pitcher Chris Perez had the first loss of his career on Sunday. Perez’s status in the regular rotation for this weekend’s games is yet to be determined.

Sophomore Jon Jay continues his success at the plate, hitting a two-RBI double over the weekend. Jay has five doubles and 19 hits in 10 games.

Freshmen Alex Garabedian and Walter Diaz showed batting strength that kept the Florida series close. Both had career records against the Gators. Garabedian went 2-for-4, scoring two runs and adding two RBIs. Diaz had one run and two RBIs off three hits. Morris has been working to develop this hitting depth since last season.

Overall, Miami remains a solid team that poses a threat to any opponent.

“The deciding games are the ACC match-ups,” Morris said. “Until those begin in March, we’ll be adjusting our game to make it to the playoffs.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...