Homesick? How to move forward

I am really homesick. I live on the other side of the country, and I really miss my family. I like UM a lot, but I have thought about transferring to be closer to them. Whenever I talk to my mom, I want to cry because I miss her so much.

Homesick

Dear Reader,

Have you ever heard the saying that friends are your chosen family? Because I think that you ought to make that saying your mantra. Have you tried to surround yourself with people or immerse yourself in activities? Finding things to do with your time might take the edge off missing your folks.

Luckily enough, you’re not completely obligated to spend four years of your life at UM. You are allowed to leave and transfer to different schools. No one will point a gun at your head. But, think about the hassle and $$$ that it will cost you to transfer to a school that is closer to home. Will they accept your credits? Do you think that moving close to home will fill that void? I’m really not so sure.

Undoubtedly, I think that you are lonely, and that you’ve used your family as your scapegoat; denial blows. It’s time to put it all in perspective. You’re in college and you’re old enough to know that your parents aren’t going to be around forever. While it’s great to savor your time with them (just like you have to make every moment of time in this life count) you can’t cling to their legs forever. Trust me, you will survive. You just need to put in a little effort.

Best of Luck,

V.

I have a crush on this guy that I don’t know. I’ve met him a few times and he’s my roommates’ boyfriend’s friend, but I don’t know how I can get closer to him. I feel like if I tell my roommate, I risk her blabbering away my love to my crush. How can I get to know him without the whole world knowing my business at the same time?

Private Dancer

Dear Reader,

I love questions like yours! They make me feel like I might be sane even if I do picture myself marrying each guy who passes me on the street. Whoa, confession. But, anyway, I think you need to test your roommates’ savvy nature; try dropping hints about your crush when you’re conversing with her. Drop his name a bit, and ask her indirect questions about him (

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...