Coach’s Corner

The appendicitis seemed to happen so suddenly, although reports said you weren’t feeling well during the week. When did you realize that something was unusually wrong?

Thursday morning is when I felt something was wrong. I wasn’t feeling well on Wednesday, but not really thinking anything of it. By Thursday, there was a lot of discomfort so I went to the doctor.

You managed to make it to the game Saturday despite having surgery less than 48 hours beforehand. Why was it so necessary for you to be at Virginia Tech?

I wanted to be there for my team. It was an important game and I felt like I needed to be there to give support and help us.

Do you think the rest of the league underestimated how much success Miami and Virginia Tech could have right away? Why were expectations so low during the preseason for both teams?

I can only speak for Miami, and I understood why we were picked last. We had lost so much in terms of our personnel and had not competed well in the Big East the previous year.

After losing to Virginia Tech twice, do you think the Hokies presented match-up problems for your team? What were the main reasons for the losses?

No, we just did not play very well. It was the first ACC game where I felt we did not play with enough intensity.

What player or players would you say is the unsung hero of the team this year? Is there someone who stepped up to a new level unexpectedly this season?

The two Anthonys (King and Harris) have both proven they can play in this league after not playing much last season. Their roles have changed drastically from last season and they have stepped it up.

Send any questions for Coach Haith to e.kails@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...