Choose your candidate

THE “Teal SHIRT” people

Pete Maki
Power. Pride. Change.

Major: Political science, Psychology

Year: First-semester senior

Running mates: VP – Paula Georg

Treasurer – Ciara Mohamed

Leadership Experience: Current SG Senior Senator; President, Sigma Chi; Chair, Association of Greek Letter Organizations; Chair, Counseling Outreach and Peer Education; Cofounder, College Republicans

Platforms:

Shuttle service to Key Biscayne – Saturday and Sunday service from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Business cards for all students – Students receive

business cards based on attendance to Toppel Career Center seminars

Late night study space – Provide students with

alternative study areas because the library closes

by midnight or 1 a.m.; Maki has determined through

research that keeping the library open would require

certified librarian on duty

Free towel service at the Wellness Center – Students will not have to pay current $1.00 fee each time they use the service

Off-campus ‘Cane Card – A different plan from previous attempts to extend ‘Cane Express services; this will allow the ‘Cane Card to be used as a debit card connected to a student’s bank account

Extend Ibis Ride Shuttle Service – Add Dickinson Drive and fraternity row shuttle stops

Laundry accommodations – Free laundry service will be implemented Fall 2005, and to avoid backups, Maki will promote stackable machines in laundry rooms

Wireless printing in library-Students using laptops can print directly from their computers to expedite the printing process

Quotable QUOTES:

“It’s less about what the candidates promise you but how far they will go for you.”

Why you should vote for me:

“I think I am the best person for the job. I’ve had a very diverse experience at UM. I feel like I have done so much in this University. I feel like myself and my ticket will be one of the best.”

THE “RED SHIRT” people

Pamela Schiess
Keeping the MomentUM…

Moving Toward Excellence

Major : Broadcast Journalism, Political Science

Year: Junior

Running mates: VP – Aaron Brunner;

Treasurer – Gabriel Trujillo

Leadership Experience: Current SG School of Communication Senator; current Director, Get Out the Vote; current Coordinator, “Cane for a Day”; UM Ambassador; Coordinator, Orientation 2005

Platforms:

24-hour study space – Keep first floor of library open 24 hours to facilitate more convenient study locations for students

Wall Street Journal and New York Times in dining halls – Students will have easier access to these publications since they are required reading for many classes

Extended Weekend Ibis Ride – To give students more time at Coconut Grove on the weekends and relieve crowding at shuttle stops, Schiess will extend shuttle service by one hour

More nutritional food in convenience store – Because many students depend on the C-store for snacks, students will have more healthy food choices available to them

Credit card machine in C-Store – If pilot program works in C-Store, Schiess will explore possibility of implementing credit card machines in Food Court.

‘Cane Card-compatible vending machines – Have all vending machines on campus accept ‘Cane Cards and ensure that all existing ‘Cane Card-compatible machines are in service

Support the WVUM referendum – Acknowledge the services that WVUM provides to the University and support an allocation of funds to help it improve its equipment

Quotable Quotes:

“I stand out because I have a really good track record. I really believe in the University. When it comes to building relationships with students and making them have a sense of ownership on campus, I think I can do that.”

Why you should vote for me:

“I have a lot of experience and I’m ready to take on this role. I really know and have grasped the vision of this school.”

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu. Natalia Maldonado can be contacted at n.maldonado@umiami.

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

Despite a career-best nine saves by Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the Miami soccer team dropped a 1-0 road d ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...