Women’s tennis tops a pair of Florida rivals

The University of Miami women’s tennis swept two in-state opponents at the Neil Schiff Stadium in Coral Gables.

The No. 63 Florida International Panthers were no match for the ‘Canes, who rank 10th in the country. Senior Megan Bradley and sophomore Audrey Banada secured the first set at the first doubles position, finishing 8-3. The second doubles team, consisting of junior Melissa Applebaum and freshman Caren Seenauth, downed the Panthers 8-5. Senior Staci Stevens and freshman Patricia Starzyk completed the doubles sweep 9-8.

Six consecutive singles wins ended the match in Miami’s favor at 7-0, the team’s second sweep of the season.

Bradley played her first three-set match since the end of last season.

Applebaum played at the second singles position, clinching a victory in two sets 6-2, 6-4. No. 3 Stevens followed suit, finishing 6-2, 6-2. Starzyk concluded her match 7-5, 3-6, 6-1, maintaining her undefeated record. Banada finished in two sets at the fifth singles position. After losing once, Seenauth came back to secure the 7-0 for the ‘Canes.

After a one day recess the ‘Canes returned to beat University of Central Florida’s in another 7-0 match.

The first doubles team finished with an 8-0 victory, followed by a 9-7 second doubles win.

The ‘Canes showed their dominance over UCF with every singles match ending in straight set victories.

Bradley played at first singles, winning 6-1, 6-3, her 21st consecutive triumph. Stevens had a difficult time in the first set, having to play four tiebreakers before winning 7-6, but easily took the second set 6-2. Applebaum finished 6-0, 6-3 followed by Starzyk 6-0, 6-1. In the fifth singles position, Seenauth prevailed 6-0, 7-5. Mowery completed the match 6-4, 6-0.

“Everyone has been working hard at practice and that reflected their game today,” said Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews. “I was most pleased with the No. 3 doubles who improved since Friday’s game against FIU.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

Lester Williams wasn’t on the field playing for the Miami Hurricanes when they won their first natio ...

An extremely frustrated University of Miami football coach Mark Richt began his media availability b ...