Women’s tennis tops a pair of Florida rivals

The University of Miami women’s tennis swept two in-state opponents at the Neil Schiff Stadium in Coral Gables.

The No. 63 Florida International Panthers were no match for the ‘Canes, who rank 10th in the country. Senior Megan Bradley and sophomore Audrey Banada secured the first set at the first doubles position, finishing 8-3. The second doubles team, consisting of junior Melissa Applebaum and freshman Caren Seenauth, downed the Panthers 8-5. Senior Staci Stevens and freshman Patricia Starzyk completed the doubles sweep 9-8.

Six consecutive singles wins ended the match in Miami’s favor at 7-0, the team’s second sweep of the season.

Bradley played her first three-set match since the end of last season.

Applebaum played at the second singles position, clinching a victory in two sets 6-2, 6-4. No. 3 Stevens followed suit, finishing 6-2, 6-2. Starzyk concluded her match 7-5, 3-6, 6-1, maintaining her undefeated record. Banada finished in two sets at the fifth singles position. After losing once, Seenauth came back to secure the 7-0 for the ‘Canes.

After a one day recess the ‘Canes returned to beat University of Central Florida’s in another 7-0 match.

The first doubles team finished with an 8-0 victory, followed by a 9-7 second doubles win.

The ‘Canes showed their dominance over UCF with every singles match ending in straight set victories.

Bradley played at first singles, winning 6-1, 6-3, her 21st consecutive triumph. Stevens had a difficult time in the first set, having to play four tiebreakers before winning 7-6, but easily took the second set 6-2. Applebaum finished 6-0, 6-3 followed by Starzyk 6-0, 6-1. In the fifth singles position, Seenauth prevailed 6-0, 7-5. Mowery completed the match 6-4, 6-0.

“Everyone has been working hard at practice and that reflected their game today,” said Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews. “I was most pleased with the No. 3 doubles who improved since Friday’s game against FIU.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...