UMNEWS – Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies receives $2 million pledge

The University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies announced that Gloria Scharlin has pledged $2 million in memory of her husband, who passed away in 2001. In recognition for this gift, the Miller Center patio will be named in memory of Howard Scharlin. The gift will support the Miller Center’s academic programs and community outreach. Mrs. Scharlin has also donated five prized statues of Hasidic rabbis that grace the leafy patio.

“[The gift] seemed like the perfect way to honor his memory and at the same time highlight the ideals of intellectualism and Judaism,” Mrs. Scharlin said, “Howard loved nothing more than to read and learn. He was very interested in Judaism. This is a way to help perpetuate what he was most interested in.”

The gift will commemorate Howard Scharlin’s role as one of South Florida’s most respected philanthropists and leaders in the Jewish and general community. Gloria and Howard often opened their home and gardens for community programs and fundraisers and considered the Greater Miami Jewish Federation their top priority. Together with Norman and Irma Braman, they launched the “I Have a Dream”‘ program through which 118 children at Miami’s Drew Elementary School have the opportunity to attend college. In 2001, Mrs. Scharlin received the Central Agency for Jewish Education’s Community Arts Award. The Scharlin family also has a long history of supporting the University of Miami.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...