Toppel Center aids undecided students

Life after college can be both exciting and challenging. For recent college graduates deciding what step to take next can be intimidating-but it doesn’t have to be.

Jenna Stewart, assistant director for internships and graduate school preparation at Toppel Career Center, noticed while meeting with students that many of them had trouble deciding what to do after graduation.

“After 16 or 17 years of schooling, grad school can be overwhelming,” Stewart said. “Some students are not sure where they want to go in the real world; when graduation comes they might want to do something else.”

This trend was an incentive for the Toppel Career Center to create a series of seminars that will help students examine their choices. The seminars will give students the opportunity to learn about alternate routes available after graduation and other paths that students might be interested in pursuing instead of the traditional job or grad school.

“Programs like this enhance learning and give students an opportunity to apply what they’ve learned,” Stewart said. “It takes courage to take the road less traveled.”

The seminars will be centered on three topics: Travel, Work and Volunteerism.

– The Peace Corps –

– AmeriCorps –

– Global Volunteers –

– Chambers of Commerce –

– Immigration
Services –

– Teach for America –

“Programs like this give you a goal, it gives you perspective, and it allows you to learn more about yourself,” Stewart said.

Travel Seminar: Wednesday, Feb. 23 at 2:00 p.m.

A great head start for planning a trip, whether one is considering backpacking through Europe or touring Latin America. This program will include information on planning and financing your trip. Guest speakers will include an STA Travel representative, and resources such as “Rick Steves’ Europe through the Back Door” and “Lonely Planet” website will be discussed.

Work Seminar: Thursday, March 3 at 2:00 p.m.

For students interested in gaining valuable experience before the traditional job or grad school, this seminar will discuss various programs available to students in the U.S. and abroad. The program will tentatively feature a “Teach for America” representative as guest speaker.

Volunteer Seminar: Tuesday, March 29 at 3:00 p.m.

Combine travel and volunteer work, or do it in your own state-this program will discuss volunteer opportunities domestic and abroad. Organizations to be discussed include the Peace Corps, Americorps, Global Volunteers and others. Guest speakers will tentatively feature Leandra Medina, director of the Butler Volunteer Services Center and a previous Peace Corps volunteer.

All seminars will take place at the Toppel Career Center Library, and no RSVP is necessary. Students from all majors are welcomed.

>> For more information contact Jenna Stewart

Vanessa Krause can be contacted at

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

The Kislak Center opens, aims to advance new forms of scholarship and build bridges across the Unive ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s Miami-spiced book talk spotlighted the One Book, One U initiative. ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek to continue its perfect record at home Frid ...

Amy Deem and the Hurricanes will travel to Los Angeles to compete at the Power 5 Trail Blazer Challe ...

The University of Miami baseball program will host its third annual 'Bark in the Park' gam ...

Miami sophomore guard declares for NBA Draft but will not hire agent. ...

In search of its fourth series win of the spring, the Miami Hurricanes host No. 24 Virginia from Mar ...