Toppel Center aids undecided students

Life after college can be both exciting and challenging. For recent college graduates deciding what step to take next can be intimidating-but it doesn’t have to be.

Jenna Stewart, assistant director for internships and graduate school preparation at Toppel Career Center, noticed while meeting with students that many of them had trouble deciding what to do after graduation.

“After 16 or 17 years of schooling, grad school can be overwhelming,” Stewart said. “Some students are not sure where they want to go in the real world; when graduation comes they might want to do something else.”

This trend was an incentive for the Toppel Career Center to create a series of seminars that will help students examine their choices. The seminars will give students the opportunity to learn about alternate routes available after graduation and other paths that students might be interested in pursuing instead of the traditional job or grad school.

“Programs like this enhance learning and give students an opportunity to apply what they’ve learned,” Stewart said. “It takes courage to take the road less traveled.”

The seminars will be centered on three topics: Travel, Work and Volunteerism.

RESOURCES

– The Peace Corps –
www.peacecorp.gov

– AmeriCorps –
www.americorps.org

– Global Volunteers –
www.globalvolunteers.org

– Chambers of Commerce –
clickcity.com/index2.htm

– Workpermit.com: Immigration
Services – www.workpermit.com

– Teach for America –
www.teachforamerica.org

“Programs like this give you a goal, it gives you perspective, and it allows you to learn more about yourself,” Stewart said.

Travel Seminar: Wednesday, Feb. 23 at 2:00 p.m.

A great head start for planning a trip, whether one is considering backpacking through Europe or touring Latin America. This program will include information on planning and financing your trip. Guest speakers will include an STA Travel representative, and resources such as “Rick Steves’ Europe through the Back Door” and “Lonely Planet” website will be discussed.

Work Seminar: Thursday, March 3 at 2:00 p.m.

For students interested in gaining valuable experience before the traditional job or grad school, this seminar will discuss various programs available to students in the U.S. and abroad. The program will tentatively feature a “Teach for America” representative as guest speaker.

Volunteer Seminar: Tuesday, March 29 at 3:00 p.m.

Combine travel and volunteer work, or do it in your own state-this program will discuss volunteer opportunities domestic and abroad. Organizations to be discussed include the Peace Corps, Americorps, Global Volunteers and others. Guest speakers will tentatively feature Leandra Medina, director of the Butler Volunteer Services Center and a previous Peace Corps volunteer.

All seminars will take place at the Toppel Career Center Library, and no RSVP is necessary. Students from all majors are welcomed.

>> For more information contact Jenna Stewart jenna@miami.edu.

Vanessa Krause can be contacted at v.krause@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...