Men’s tennis enjoys weekend sweep

While the boat show took place on Miami Beach this weekend, the men’s tennis team put on its own show at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

The No. 51 ‘Canes won consecutive matches on Friday and Saturday, beating Jacksonville and Stetson, respectively, to run their record to 4-1 on the year.

Junior Eric Hechtman and freshman Ryan Waits teamed up and beat Jacksonville’s duo 8-5 in the first doubles game. Junior Tim Krebs and freshman Vivek Subramanian followed with an 8-2 victory in No. 2 doubles.

In singles play, sophomore Josh Cohen-ranked 26th nationally in singles-rebounded from a 6-0 second-set loss to upend JU’s Hehensteiger, 6-2, 0-6, 6-4 at first singles.

Krebs, who is ranked 123rd in singles, won in straight-sets (6-1, 6-1) over Wietrak in No. 2 singles and Hechtman handled Ritschka in similar fashion in No. 3 competition.

Subramanian won his No. 4 singles match, downing the Dolphins’ Andrew Burks, 6-0, 7-6 (8-6), and Luis Manrique outlasted Merchant with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-1 win in fifth singles.

Saturday’s match was highlighted by the nation’s 43rd-ranked tandem of Cohen and Hechtman’s 8-3 win over SU’s No. 1 doubles team of Marcus Echtler and Birger Soiland.

Cohen and Hechtman continued to play well in singles, with a pair of 6-1, 6-0 straight-set wins over Stetson’s Joey Jones and Soiland at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions, respectively.

UM’s Krebs clinched the match in first singles, downing Echtler, 7-5, 6-2 to improve to 6-0 on the year.

Subramanian won his No. 4 singles match over Christian Moe, 4-6, 6-4, (10-6), and fellow classmate Waits bounced back from a first set loss to overtake Thomas Bross 3-6, 6-2, 6-2.

The two wins extended the ‘Canes’ win streak to four matches.

The Hurricanes will look to continue their streak this weekend when they face the University of Central Florida Friday and Florida A&M Sunday.

Chris Hamilton can be contacted at c.hamilton2@umiami.edu.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...