Men’s tennis enjoys weekend sweep

While the boat show took place on Miami Beach this weekend, the men’s tennis team put on its own show at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

The No. 51 ‘Canes won consecutive matches on Friday and Saturday, beating Jacksonville and Stetson, respectively, to run their record to 4-1 on the year.

Junior Eric Hechtman and freshman Ryan Waits teamed up and beat Jacksonville’s duo 8-5 in the first doubles game. Junior Tim Krebs and freshman Vivek Subramanian followed with an 8-2 victory in No. 2 doubles.

In singles play, sophomore Josh Cohen-ranked 26th nationally in singles-rebounded from a 6-0 second-set loss to upend JU’s Hehensteiger, 6-2, 0-6, 6-4 at first singles.

Krebs, who is ranked 123rd in singles, won in straight-sets (6-1, 6-1) over Wietrak in No. 2 singles and Hechtman handled Ritschka in similar fashion in No. 3 competition.

Subramanian won his No. 4 singles match, downing the Dolphins’ Andrew Burks, 6-0, 7-6 (8-6), and Luis Manrique outlasted Merchant with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-1 win in fifth singles.

Saturday’s match was highlighted by the nation’s 43rd-ranked tandem of Cohen and Hechtman’s 8-3 win over SU’s No. 1 doubles team of Marcus Echtler and Birger Soiland.

Cohen and Hechtman continued to play well in singles, with a pair of 6-1, 6-0 straight-set wins over Stetson’s Joey Jones and Soiland at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions, respectively.

UM’s Krebs clinched the match in first singles, downing Echtler, 7-5, 6-2 to improve to 6-0 on the year.

Subramanian won his No. 4 singles match over Christian Moe, 4-6, 6-4, (10-6), and fellow classmate Waits bounced back from a first set loss to overtake Thomas Bross 3-6, 6-2, 6-2.

The two wins extended the ‘Canes’ win streak to four matches.

The Hurricanes will look to continue their streak this weekend when they face the University of Central Florida Friday and Florida A&M Sunday.

Chris Hamilton can be contacted at c.hamilton2@umiami.edu.

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...