Men’s tennis enjoys weekend sweep

While the boat show took place on Miami Beach this weekend, the men’s tennis team put on its own show at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

The No. 51 ‘Canes won consecutive matches on Friday and Saturday, beating Jacksonville and Stetson, respectively, to run their record to 4-1 on the year.

Junior Eric Hechtman and freshman Ryan Waits teamed up and beat Jacksonville’s duo 8-5 in the first doubles game. Junior Tim Krebs and freshman Vivek Subramanian followed with an 8-2 victory in No. 2 doubles.

In singles play, sophomore Josh Cohen-ranked 26th nationally in singles-rebounded from a 6-0 second-set loss to upend JU’s Hehensteiger, 6-2, 0-6, 6-4 at first singles.

Krebs, who is ranked 123rd in singles, won in straight-sets (6-1, 6-1) over Wietrak in No. 2 singles and Hechtman handled Ritschka in similar fashion in No. 3 competition.

Subramanian won his No. 4 singles match, downing the Dolphins’ Andrew Burks, 6-0, 7-6 (8-6), and Luis Manrique outlasted Merchant with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-1 win in fifth singles.

Saturday’s match was highlighted by the nation’s 43rd-ranked tandem of Cohen and Hechtman’s 8-3 win over SU’s No. 1 doubles team of Marcus Echtler and Birger Soiland.

Cohen and Hechtman continued to play well in singles, with a pair of 6-1, 6-0 straight-set wins over Stetson’s Joey Jones and Soiland at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions, respectively.

UM’s Krebs clinched the match in first singles, downing Echtler, 7-5, 6-2 to improve to 6-0 on the year.

Subramanian won his No. 4 singles match over Christian Moe, 4-6, 6-4, (10-6), and fellow classmate Waits bounced back from a first set loss to overtake Thomas Bross 3-6, 6-2, 6-2.

The two wins extended the ‘Canes’ win streak to four matches.

The Hurricanes will look to continue their streak this weekend when they face the University of Central Florida Friday and Florida A&M Sunday.

Chris Hamilton can be contacted at c.hamilton2@umiami.edu.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...