Briefs – TRACK * BASKETBALL

Women’s Track & Field

Behind a total of five individual titles and one relay title, the third-ranked University of Miami women’s track team won the 2005 ACC Women’s Indoor Track and Field Championship with a total of 138 points as the third and final day of competition came to a close Saturday at the Eddie Smith Field House.

In their inaugural season in the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Hurricanes, who won the Big East Indoor title in 2003 and 2004, finished with a total of 138 points followed by North Carolina with 100 points and Georgia Tech with 98 points.

Along with the five individual championships and one relay title, a total of nine UM athletes drew All-ACC honors, including Lauren Austin (4×400 relay), Kimberli Barrett (weight throw, shot put), Tabia Charles (long jump, triple jump), Dominique Darden (200 meter dash, 4×400 relay), Ginou Etienne (4×400 relay), Charlette Greggs (400 meter dash, 4×400 relay), India Ransom (60 meter dash), Amy Seward (pentathlon) and Amber Williams (pentathlon).

Men’s Basketball

Zabian Dowdell scored 17 points as Virginia Tech broke open the game and a fourth-place tie with Miami, 71-58, in ACC action Saturday night.

Coleman Collins added 18 points and five rebounds for the Hokies (14-10, 7-6), who remained tied with Maryland. Deron Washington added 10.

Guillermo Diaz led Miami (15-9, 6-7) with 12 points. William Frisby scored 12 points and grabbed eight rebounds. Robert Hite added 11 points and Anthony Harris 10 for the Hurricanes.

Frisby hit four free throws to pull the ‘Canes back in the game, cutting the lead to 52-46 with 10:20 to play. Miami had trailed 50-36 minutes into the second half before a 10-2 run.

Dowdell’s three free throws gave Virginia Tech its largest lead, 68-50, with just under five minutes to play.

The Hokies shot 60 percent before the break. Miami, just 1-for-6 from beyond the arc in the half, shot 42 percent. Tech cooled to 54 percent for the game. Miami shot 40 percent, but out rebounded the Hokies 31-25.

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...