Briefs – TRACK * BASKETBALL

Women’s Track & Field

Behind a total of five individual titles and one relay title, the third-ranked University of Miami women’s track team won the 2005 ACC Women’s Indoor Track and Field Championship with a total of 138 points as the third and final day of competition came to a close Saturday at the Eddie Smith Field House.

In their inaugural season in the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Hurricanes, who won the Big East Indoor title in 2003 and 2004, finished with a total of 138 points followed by North Carolina with 100 points and Georgia Tech with 98 points.

Along with the five individual championships and one relay title, a total of nine UM athletes drew All-ACC honors, including Lauren Austin (4×400 relay), Kimberli Barrett (weight throw, shot put), Tabia Charles (long jump, triple jump), Dominique Darden (200 meter dash, 4×400 relay), Ginou Etienne (4×400 relay), Charlette Greggs (400 meter dash, 4×400 relay), India Ransom (60 meter dash), Amy Seward (pentathlon) and Amber Williams (pentathlon).

Men’s Basketball

Zabian Dowdell scored 17 points as Virginia Tech broke open the game and a fourth-place tie with Miami, 71-58, in ACC action Saturday night.

Coleman Collins added 18 points and five rebounds for the Hokies (14-10, 7-6), who remained tied with Maryland. Deron Washington added 10.

Guillermo Diaz led Miami (15-9, 6-7) with 12 points. William Frisby scored 12 points and grabbed eight rebounds. Robert Hite added 11 points and Anthony Harris 10 for the Hurricanes.

Frisby hit four free throws to pull the ‘Canes back in the game, cutting the lead to 52-46 with 10:20 to play. Miami had trailed 50-36 minutes into the second half before a 10-2 run.

Dowdell’s three free throws gave Virginia Tech its largest lead, 68-50, with just under five minutes to play.

The Hokies shot 60 percent before the break. Miami, just 1-for-6 from beyond the arc in the half, shot 42 percent. Tech cooled to 54 percent for the game. Miami shot 40 percent, but out rebounded the Hokies 31-25.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...