UMNEWS – UM alumus Marvin Shanken establishes School of Communication scholarship

Marvin R. Shanken, founder and publisher of signature lifestyle magazines such as Wine Spectator, Cigar Aficionado and Food Arts, has established the Wine Spectator Scholarship Foundation Scholarships in the School of Communication at the University of Miami. The $30,000 gift will provide support to UM students majoring in print journalism, broadcast journalism, visual communications, motion pictures, public relations or communication studies, who have demonstrated an interest in wine, wine and health, food, and/or hospitality.

A UM 1965 alumnus, Mr. Shanken has always viewed education as the goal of Wine Spectator magazine, and each year proceeds from magazine’s highly successful Wine Experience Weekend support the Wine Spectator Scholarship Foundation. Previous grants and scholarships have been awarded to educational programs at the University of California at Davis; the Culinary Institute of America; the Cornell School of Hotel Administration; and Copia: The American Institute of Wine, Food and the Arts, among other institutions.

The announcement of the new scholarship coincides with the opening of The Wine Spectator Collection Posters of the Belle