UMNEWS – UM alumus Marvin Shanken establishes School of Communication scholarship

Marvin R. Shanken, founder and publisher of signature lifestyle magazines such as Wine Spectator, Cigar Aficionado and Food Arts, has established the Wine Spectator Scholarship Foundation Scholarships in the School of Communication at the University of Miami. The $30,000 gift will provide support to UM students majoring in print journalism, broadcast journalism, visual communications, motion pictures, public relations or communication studies, who have demonstrated an interest in wine, wine and health, food, and/or hospitality.

A UM 1965 alumnus, Mr. Shanken has always viewed education as the goal of Wine Spectator magazine, and each year proceeds from magazine’s highly successful Wine Experience Weekend support the Wine Spectator Scholarship Foundation. Previous grants and scholarships have been awarded to educational programs at the University of California at Davis; the Culinary Institute of America; the Cornell School of Hotel Administration; and Copia: The American Institute of Wine, Food and the Arts, among other institutions.

The announcement of the new scholarship coincides with the opening of The Wine Spectator Collection Posters of the Belle

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...