The ABC’s for Adults: anorexia, bulimia and compulsive overeating

Many hold the common misconception that eating disorders affect only women, and stem from the desire to become thin or to change one’s physical appearance; rather it is an emotional battle that involves a search for control and temporary emotional respite. Anorexia, bulimia and compulsive overeating are the three most common eating disorders that men and women face. Statistics show that 20 to 30 percent of the population will have an eating disorder at any given time. Unfortunately, countless men and women continue to suffer from these diseases and do not know where to receive help.

Three years ago, after seeking treatment for her own battle with an eating disorder, producer Joanna Popper decided to speak out and educate others. The Northwestern University graduate, holding an MBA from The Wharton Business School at the University of Pennsylvania, first came to the University of Miami three years ago, and spoke to UM’s Delta Gamma sorority to raise awareness among college women about eating disorders. Popper noticed that the majority of information college students receive concerns alcoholism, date rape and sexual education, but not eating disorders. Speaking at UM was only the beginning to a project that would be featured on CNN’s Anderson Cooper 360

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...