Living up to its name, The Best American Nonrequired Reading is greatly satisfying

Started in 1915, the Best American series is a showcase for fiction and nonfiction. In each volume the best pieces of fiction and nonfiction are selected by an editor who is considered one of the best in his or her field. For 2004 David Eggers has chosen some of the best contemporary fiction, nonfiction and even comics for the series. Taken from a wide variety of publications such as the Atlantic Monthly, Bomb, the New York Times and even GQ, the collection of works appeals to every reader.

The collection for the latest edition includes a hilarious introduction by Viggo Mortensen who is a known film actor and published artist/poet. In part of the introduction Mortensen acknowledges that, “we are free to read or not read.” Although he makes some rather humorous suggestions about how to go about reading this book, it should be read.

Featuring some of the best authors, highlight pieces include David Sedaris’ “Full House” taken from Esquire and Robert Kelly’s “How They Took My Body Apart and Made Another Me.” Ranging from comical stories to even a ten page comic about a sailor, entitled “Poor Sailor,” by John Haskell, the Best American series is one not to be missed.

If you’ve ever been bored with a full length novel, try short stories. They will re-excite you about reading.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 2 seed Clemson used a six-run sixth to push past seventh-seeded Miami Thursday night. ...

Kevin Arreaga was the first Cane in action on Thursday and he wasted little time punching his ticket ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...