Elsewhere – Walking condom promotes sexual awareness at U. Arizona

(U-WIRE) TUCSON, Ariz. – A man wearing a large condom suit roamed the mall at the University of Arizona Monday to catch the attention of passing students, while volunteers handed out free condoms to celebrate the beginning of Sexual Awareness Week.

“We organize things on the mall to advise the student body and get them involved,” said Cherilyn Gain, a sophomore majoring in English and Spanish. “We are trying to make a difference as far as student help. Today we are focusing on prevention.”

The main event was to guess the number of condoms in a jar to win a prize. Participants were also showered with free condoms and sexually informative brochures.

The Southern Arizona AIDS Foundation offered free AIDS testing in the Student Union Memorial Center.

“I am getting tested because I have worked with AIDS organizations and am an RA, so being informed is important to me,” said Cambel Berk, a biochemistry senior. “I am also trying to set an example.”

The ASUA Pride Alliance, a campus group devoted to promoting diversity and individuality on campus for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and allied students, will host daily events for the week.

Later this week, the Cellar will be home of the Cross Dress Cabaret, a drag show with student participation.

“I am very excited about Cross Dress Cabaret,” Berk said. “My friend is the host, so I will definitely be there, and I think it’s definitely something worth going to.”

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...