Elsewhere – Walking condom promotes sexual awareness at U. Arizona

(U-WIRE) TUCSON, Ariz. – A man wearing a large condom suit roamed the mall at the University of Arizona Monday to catch the attention of passing students, while volunteers handed out free condoms to celebrate the beginning of Sexual Awareness Week.

“We organize things on the mall to advise the student body and get them involved,” said Cherilyn Gain, a sophomore majoring in English and Spanish. “We are trying to make a difference as far as student help. Today we are focusing on prevention.”

The main event was to guess the number of condoms in a jar to win a prize. Participants were also showered with free condoms and sexually informative brochures.

The Southern Arizona AIDS Foundation offered free AIDS testing in the Student Union Memorial Center.

“I am getting tested because I have worked with AIDS organizations and am an RA, so being informed is important to me,” said Cambel Berk, a biochemistry senior. “I am also trying to set an example.”

The ASUA Pride Alliance, a campus group devoted to promoting diversity and individuality on campus for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and allied students, will host daily events for the week.

Later this week, the Cellar will be home of the Cross Dress Cabaret, a drag show with student participation.

“I am very excited about Cross Dress Cabaret,” Berk said. “My friend is the host, so I will definitely be there, and I think it’s definitely something worth going to.”

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...