Elsewhere – Walking condom promotes sexual awareness at U. Arizona

(U-WIRE) TUCSON, Ariz. – A man wearing a large condom suit roamed the mall at the University of Arizona Monday to catch the attention of passing students, while volunteers handed out free condoms to celebrate the beginning of Sexual Awareness Week.

“We organize things on the mall to advise the student body and get them involved,” said Cherilyn Gain, a sophomore majoring in English and Spanish. “We are trying to make a difference as far as student help. Today we are focusing on prevention.”

The main event was to guess the number of condoms in a jar to win a prize. Participants were also showered with free condoms and sexually informative brochures.

The Southern Arizona AIDS Foundation offered free AIDS testing in the Student Union Memorial Center.

“I am getting tested because I have worked with AIDS organizations and am an RA, so being informed is important to me,” said Cambel Berk, a biochemistry senior. “I am also trying to set an example.”

The ASUA Pride Alliance, a campus group devoted to promoting diversity and individuality on campus for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and allied students, will host daily events for the week.

Later this week, the Cellar will be home of the Cross Dress Cabaret, a drag show with student participation.

“I am very excited about Cross Dress Cabaret,” Berk said. “My friend is the host, so I will definitely be there, and I think it’s definitely something worth going to.”

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...