Are we really living in a porn nation?

Congrats, Campus Crusade for Christ and Michael Leahy! Porn Nation was a perfect hook for Campus Crusade to bring in a new audience to evangelize to. And what did Mike get? Well, if you were at the presentation (or had downloaded a bootleg copy off the internet like me) you’d know that Mike was once a sex addict. His parents failed to give him a comprehensive sex education, and when he got out on his own he threw self-control to the wind and became a “compulsive masturbator.” He then brought this burden upon a wife and children, which he ended up leaving for another, female, sex addict.

Time for a therapist, right?

Nah. It’s time to listen to the voices in your head.

Mike turned to God! The funny thing is, if you’re a complete weirdo (like me) and created a transcript of a bootleg copy of his presentation, you’ll see that a lot of the language he used to describe his pornographic compulsion he later used to describe his religious compulsion. In fact, at the beginning of the presentation, he warns people of the dangers of funneling down all your needs to be fueled by one source. Apparently religious zealotry is exempt from Mike’s own rule of logic.

So why try to cross over into the realm of physical addictions to spread the word of God?

Mikey admits in his speech that sexual addiction isn’t common amongst college students. However, in his mind, things can “take a nasty turn” in such an “open” environment. It sounds like he’s making a case against childhood oppression that many American religions breed.

I don’t know if it’s just me, but, gosh, UM is pretty good at making sure only the best and brightest are admitted in to this school. We’ve all had to exhibit self-control in our lives to get where we are now. And if we can force ourselves to sit down for six hours to write a research paper, I’m pretty sure we can keep our hands out of our pants, for most of the day at least.

What’s wrong with a little dilly-dallying in the wonderful world of sex? Well, for Christians, it isn’t what God wants for us. So what’s my motivation? I believe in evolution. Sex is part of our biological nature. We are sexual beings, and to deny that is unnatural.

And if my sexual sensibilities weren’t already offended enough, according to the Mikester, society has “duped” females into becoming sexual aggressors! Heaven forbid a woman isn’t ready to settle down or recognizes that a man just doesn’t have what she needs in a husband, and use him for sex! No, the American culture is too sexualized. And all those media giants, headed by men, have fooled us women into believing that we actually could share in 50 percent of the glorious phenomenon that is premarital sex.

I’ll leave you with a quote from the Porn Nation website’s student message board:

“I loved when a question was asked about other ways to cure your addiction other than God you stated there really is no there way. I’m glad you kept it on God.”

Whoops! I guess if you’re a Muslim, atheist, or of any other “unacceptable” religious orientation, you’ll just have to make sure the keyboard doesn’t get too sticky.

Margaret Scott can be contacted at mscott2@umisis.miami.edu.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...