UMNEWS – UM Miller School of Medicine dean accepts new post

John G. Clarkson, M.D., senior vice president for medical affairs and dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine for the past decade, announced Tuesday that he is stepping down as dean to accept the position of executive director of the American Board of Ophthalmology. Clarkson will remain as dean until a successor has been named, and then will assume a new part-time leadership role at the University.

“Dean Clarkson has brought the University of Miami School of Medicine to previously unimaginable heights of excellence in biomedical research, education and patient care,” said University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala.

Beginning in January 2006, Clarkson will lead the American Board of Ophthalmology, a certifying agency of the American Board of Medical Specialists that ensures that ophthalmologists maintain top professional skills. “I see this role as a broader one where I can participate with the rest of medicine to make sure that ophthalmologists can prove their ability to provide the most advanced care for patients,” Clarkson said.

Clarkson was director of UM’s nationally acclaimed Bascom Palmer Eye Institute and chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology before becoming dean in November 1995. During his tenure as dean he has recruited significant research and academic talent to the University and presided over hefty annual growth in the research enterprise.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...