Singing their own hearts out

f you see a guy dressed like a heart singing at the front of your lecture hall instead of your professor at the podium, don’t worry-you’re in the right place. It’s only the Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia delivering its singing valentines.

In honor of Valentine’s Day each year, the fraternity holds a fundraiser selling “singing valentines.” For seven dollars, anyone can request that a valentine be delivered to another person. The guys will come to that class and serenade the designated person with their a cappella music right in the middle of class. In front of everyone.

“It’s a big tradition with the frat,” Lucas Perez, junior, said. “Besides being lovable and beautiful it’s funny and embarrassing.”

“It’s literally been going on so long that none of us know when it started,” Jonathan Cofino, junior, said.

The performers said that professors generally don’t mind the singers interrupting their classes.

“Sometimes [professors mind]when they are giving a test or when there is a presentation,” Cofino said. “More often than not, it’s cool.”

Anyone can join the men’s music fraternity, regardless of their major or what school they are in. The 18 men who switch off singing the valentines range from civil engineering to sports administration majors.

A couple of the fraternity members displayed their talents for The Hurricane, singing “In the Still of the Night” a cappella, complete with finger snapping and down on one knee.

On Valentine’s Day, the singers will be delivering a special valentine to President Shalala, who celebrates her birthday that day.

“It’s our birthday gift to her,” Perez said.

But it’s up to the receiver to decide whether they’re swept off their feet or they want to bury their head in the ground.

“Also during singing we have someone wearing a big life-size heart,” he said. “Cox lecture hall is amazing because it’s so many people it’s really embarrassing. It’s difficult to get the heart down the aisle.”

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...