Fate Date: the dating scenes on college campuses around the world

Fate Date was a reality blind date show developed for Loyola College’s (in Baltimore, Md.) first TV network, TGN 70, in 2002. It was added in order to help jumpstart the network, created and directed by B. J. Barretta in 2002, executive produced by Alan Danzis, and written and hosted by Joe Salvati in 2004. In its eight-episode season on TGN 70, the show offered an inside look into Loyola College’s dating scene. Two co-eds were placed on a blind date and followed around Baltimore by a camera crew. The show became an instant hit at Loyola College; however, it was terminated on May 3, 2003 due to the recent graduations of Barretta and Danzis.

Barretta, Danzis and Salvati reunited after their graduation and decided to revive the show hoping to produce it for a TV network. Danzis pitched the idea to Shane Walker, president of the U Network, and Walker agreed to put the show in its 2005 cable lineup. As a result of this facelift, Fate Date will observe the dating lifestyles at other college and university campuses. The show now features a date analyst named Diana, who offers colorful commentary on the show’s contestants, their demeanor and mannerisms. In short, the show is more professional.

It is not coincidental that, as the producer of Fate Date, Danzis is passionate about the show. He promises that the awkward blind dates will have your sides splitting from laughter. Danzis is also confident about the show’s future success on the U Network, attributing it to the show’s uniqueness. “There’s nothing like this show on television,” he says. “So much of reality shows are all about ‘gotchas’ and trying to trip up the contestants.” He continues to say that contestants usually do not find this funny.

“We find the funny in the awkwardness between two complete and soon-to-be-uncomfortable strangers on a date.” In addition, Danzis also attributes the shows success to the fact that no one has targeted college students before.

Danzis does not believe that fate plays a prominent role in the success of the blind dates. He credits chemistry for the success. “All the ones that haven’t been successful is for lack of chemistry,” he says.

He also mentions unrequited love. Many of the show’s contestants like their dates, but unfortunately this feeling is not mutual. Danzis says that although the dating scene at every college or university is different, every somewhat has the same idea about dates.

Danzis further affirms that they will consider hosting an episode at the University of Miami next fall if we pick up the U Network. He says that they’ll definitely be approaching UM as one of the first schools.

Sandra Remilien can be contacted at s.remilien@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...