UMNEWS – Miguel Fernandez joins UM Board of Trustees

The University’s Board of Trustees announced that Miguel “Mike” Fernandez has been named as a trustee. Last fall Fernandez made a $10 million gift to the University’s School of Business Administration, one of the largest ever made to the school, which will name the new Miguel B. Fernandez Family Entrepreneurial Center.

The new building will house an entrepreneurship center, an information resource center, undergraduate placement center, academic pavilions and student residences. The building will be designed by internationally acclaimed and award-inning architect Michael Graves.

“I am delighted to team up with the University of Miami in launching this exciting new venture that focuses attention on entrepreneurship, a field that is only recently beginning to command the respect it deserves in both the business and academic community,” Fernandez said. “With five children of my own I recognize how important it is to encourage education and create an environment for students to reach their potential. My vision is for the new facilities to help UM and South Florida continue to thrive as leaders in business innovation.”

Fernandez is known throughout the South Florida community for his unique, niche-oriented healthcare businesses that share a common focus on strong customer service. A self-made entrepreneur, Fernandez is the Chairman and CEO of several rapidly growing Florida-based healthcare companies that currently serve more than 500,000 clients.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team fought valiantly at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center, but ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...