UMNEWS – Miguel Fernandez joins UM Board of Trustees

The University’s Board of Trustees announced that Miguel “Mike” Fernandez has been named as a trustee. Last fall Fernandez made a $10 million gift to the University’s School of Business Administration, one of the largest ever made to the school, which will name the new Miguel B. Fernandez Family Entrepreneurial Center.

The new building will house an entrepreneurship center, an information resource center, undergraduate placement center, academic pavilions and student residences. The building will be designed by internationally acclaimed and award-inning architect Michael Graves.

“I am delighted to team up with the University of Miami in launching this exciting new venture that focuses attention on entrepreneurship, a field that is only recently beginning to command the respect it deserves in both the business and academic community,” Fernandez said. “With five children of my own I recognize how important it is to encourage education and create an environment for students to reach their potential. My vision is for the new facilities to help UM and South Florida continue to thrive as leaders in business innovation.”

Fernandez is known throughout the South Florida community for his unique, niche-oriented healthcare businesses that share a common focus on strong customer service. A self-made entrepreneur, Fernandez is the Chairman and CEO of several rapidly growing Florida-based healthcare companies that currently serve more than 500,000 clients.

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...