Tha carter exposes underground style

In the world of hip-hop, the dirty South is different. Whether it’s booty bass or crunk, the region continues to make hip-hop music in its own terms, whether the rest of the country likes it or not. So is the case in the hugely popular underground phenomenon of “screwing,” a production technique invented by the Houston underground legend DJ Screw. Screwing is basically pitching down music to a lumbering and even menacing pace, the result being in a trippy, eerie sound.

The growing popularity of screwed and chopped music in the South has seen the transformation of the technique being used in locally produced mix tapes to now where entire albums have been screwed and released in its new format. Lil’ Wayne’s fourth album, Tha Carter, is the latest to use the technique, exposing this underground style to a larger audience. The result, though, is mixed: At times the lumbering sound and the eerie effects brings to mind an experimental sound, but other times it tends to get a little tired, even during the first hearing of the album.

If there is one problem with this new version I have to bring to light, it’s the same one that plagued the original version: It’s too long. With the entire album being screwed and chopped, the menacing sound could have the effect of grinding on one’s nerve. Perhaps that’s why the style has been associated with “syrup sippin’,” purportedly the largest influence in developing the sound; the codeine-infused cough syrup could help you go with the flow and enjoy each slowly pounding beat. That said, this album is strictly for aficionados of screwed and chopped music.

Christian Martinez can be contacted at c.martinez7@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...