Frisby shines in crucial moment

On a day when each team shot under 40 percent from the field, it was only fitting that the winning points came from the free-throw line. Senior Will Frisby hit two of the biggest free throws of his career to lift Miami to a thrilling overtime upset of No. 22 Maryland.

After missing a dunk that would have given the Hurricanes a five-point lead with 1:28 to play in overtime, Frisby redeemed himself by taking a charge on Nik Caner-Medley with 15 seconds to play.

With the score tied at 73, Robert Hite missed a running jumper, but Frisby grabbed the offensive rebound and got fouled with 0.8 left to play.

The 6-8 forward swished the first shot, and then swished the second, which goes against most basketball wisdom.

“I told him to miss that second shot,” Head Coach Frank Haith said. “But Will was in the zone and didn’t hear me.”

By making the second free throw, Maryland was able to take the ball out from out of bounds with the clock stopped and set up a play. The Terps ended up getting a good look at the buzzer, but the shot fell wide and the Convocation Center went into a frenzy.

It wasn’t the first time Frisby went to the line for two crucial free throws. Last season he sent a game against Boston College into overtime with two free throws at the end of regulation.

Frisby finished with 15 points, but none more crucial than the two that came with under a second to play.

Douglas C. Kroll can be reached at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...