Briefs – TENNIS

Women’s Tennis

The 12th ranked University of Miami women’s tennis team fell to 11th-ranked Washington 4-3 Saturday evening in the consolation round of the USTA/ITA National Team Indoor Championships at the University of Wisconsin’s A.C. Nielsen Tennis Stadium.

The Hurricanes (2-2) opened strong, winning the doubles point to take a 1-0 match lead. UM’s eighth-ranked doubles duo of Megan Bradley and Audrey Banada downed 56th-ranked Dinka Hadzic and Dea Sumantri 8-5 before Melissa Applebaum and Caren Seenauth joined to defeat Saskia Nauenberg and Allison Rainey 8-6 to clinch the point.

(2) Bradley defeated (38) Sumantri 6-1, 6-3 in the No.1 singles slot to put the Hurricanes up 2-0. The Columbia, Missouri native dominated in singles and doubles throughout the weekend going 3-0 in both from the No. 1 position.

The Huskies notched a point after Hadzic downed senior Staci Stevens 6-0, 6-0 at No. 2.

Freshman Patricia Starzyk finished next, earning a 6-2, 7-5 victory over Tara Simpson at No. 5 to give Miami a 3-1 lead. Starzyk also finished the weekend with a 3-0 record in singles.

Washington went on to win in both the No. 4 and No. 6 positions to tie the score at 3-all. Banada fell to Nauenberg 7-5, 6-4 at No. 4 while freshman Juliette Mavroleon lost a close battle with Allison Rainey 7-6(6), 6-4 at No. 6.

The Huskies clinched the match after Mugette Ahn outlasted junior Melissa Applebaum in three sets 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 in the No. 3 position.

The Hurricanes return to action when they host cross-town rival Florida International Friday, Feb. 18 at 1:00 p.m. in the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Men’s Tennis

Junior Tim Krebs earned Miami’s only point of the day, winning at No. 2 singles, as the 47th-ranked Miami men’s tennis team fell 6-1 to in-state rivals Florida-ranked third nationally-Friday afternoon at Linder Stadium at the Ring Tennis Complex in Gainesville, Fla.

The Hurricanes (1-1) surrendered each of the doubles matches to the Gators (3-0) to fall 1-0 early heading into singles play.

UM senior Luis Manrique fell in straight sets (6-2, 6-0) in the No. 5 slot to Florida’s Jordan Dolberg just before UF’s Ryan Sherry downed freshman Ryan Waits, 6-1, 6-1 at No. 6 to give the Gators a 3-0 lead.

Krebs, ranked 123rd nationally in singles, finished next, downing the nation’s 47th-ranked singles player, Greg Ouellette, in straight sets (6-3, 6-2).

The UM comeback was short-lived as the Gators’ Hamid Mirzadeh defeated sophomore Josh Cohen, ranked 26th nationally, 6-1, 6-3 to clinch the match.

The Gators went on to win at No. 3 and No. 4 singles, downing UM junior John Hoyes and freshman Vivek Subramanian, respectively, to seal the 6-1 victory.

The Hurricanes will return to action Sunday, traveling to Tampa, Fla. to take on South Florida at noon.

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...