UMNEWS – UM Rosenstiel School of Marine Science opens lab in the Bahamas

The Rosenstiel School celebrated the opening of a new, full-time lab in Highborne Cay, the Bahamas, on Saturday, Jan. 29. The lab will allow continuous observation of living examples of Earth’s oldest known macrofossils to learn more about Earth’s history.

Funded primarily by the National Science Foundation, the Highborne Cay Research Station will enable Rosenstiel School researchers and collaborators to investigate Bahamian stromatolites on a year-round basis.

Stromatolites are layered, fossilized deposits, mainly composed of limestone and formed by bacteria. They are the oldest known fossils, dating back more than three billion years. Though were common in Precambrian time (more than 540 million years ago), they are rare in today’s oceans, only growing in abundance in Shark Bay, Australia, and the Exuma Cays, Bahamas.

“Stromatolites are the main source of information on early life for 85 percent of the rock record,” said Pamela Reid, Rosenstiel School professor and principal investigator. “The continual observation that the new lab affords will allow us to learn more about the growth of these reefs under changing environmental conditions.”

The ability to chronicle adaptive processes of these living fossils on a daily basis will advance the understanding of evolution of early life on Earth and possibly other planets.

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 2 seed Clemson used a six-run sixth to push past seventh-seeded Miami Thursday night. ...

Kevin Arreaga was the first Cane in action on Thursday and he wasted little time punching his ticket ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...