UMNEWS – UM Rosenstiel School of Marine Science opens lab in the Bahamas

The Rosenstiel School celebrated the opening of a new, full-time lab in Highborne Cay, the Bahamas, on Saturday, Jan. 29. The lab will allow continuous observation of living examples of Earth’s oldest known macrofossils to learn more about Earth’s history.

Funded primarily by the National Science Foundation, the Highborne Cay Research Station will enable Rosenstiel School researchers and collaborators to investigate Bahamian stromatolites on a year-round basis.

Stromatolites are layered, fossilized deposits, mainly composed of limestone and formed by bacteria. They are the oldest known fossils, dating back more than three billion years. Though were common in Precambrian time (more than 540 million years ago), they are rare in today’s oceans, only growing in abundance in Shark Bay, Australia, and the Exuma Cays, Bahamas.

“Stromatolites are the main source of information on early life for 85 percent of the rock record,” said Pamela Reid, Rosenstiel School professor and principal investigator. “The continual observation that the new lab affords will allow us to learn more about the growth of these reefs under changing environmental conditions.”

The ability to chronicle adaptive processes of these living fossils on a daily basis will advance the understanding of evolution of early life on Earth and possibly other planets.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...