Hick-hop entertains rebels at Chili Cookoff

Forget hip-hop, hick-hop dominated this weekend at the KISS Country Chili Cookoff as more than 40,000 die-hard country fans descended on C.B. Smith Park in Pembroke Pines. Among the performers were Hank Williams Jr., Montgomery Gentry, Keith Urban, Big & Rich and Katrina Elam. After seeing this show, or more likely, this crowd, it became very apparent that any one who thinks that South Florida is part of the “South” is seriously mistaken. How many pickup trucks waving “rebel” flags (a.k.a. Confederate flags) do you see driving down Ponce on your way to class? By the time Williams performed, many people had been “tailgating” since 7 a.m. But being barely able to stand (Budweiser keg tricks will do that to you) didn’t keep them from raising their cowboy hats into the air as they sang, “save a horse, ride a cowboy.”

Most people, regardless of whether they like the music, will agree that country songs tell stories better then anyone. For that reason, here are some tips from the weekends performers

“I’ve seen enough to know I know what I like,
It’s the hard working, head turning, rugged type”
-Katina Elam, I want a cowboy

“‘Cause we’ve got better things that we can do,
When it’s raining on Sunday”
-Keith Urban, Raining on Sunday

“And the girls say,
Save a horse, ride a cowboy”
-Big & Rich, Save a horse, ride a cowboy

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...