2005 Miss Black and Gold crowned, represents ‘sacred light’

The Eta Delta Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity hosted its fifth annual Miss Black and Gold Pageant, sponsored by United Black Students, in the Clarke Recital Hall on Tuesday.

The theme of the evening was “The Seven Heiresses of the Light.” Bryon Henderson, second vice president of the fraternity, described it as “the sacred light [from God]” that will be carried by seven princesses or goddesses. Each of the contestants represented a part of the light through spirituality, strength, deeds, service, scholarship, leadership and love for all of mankind.

“[They] are chosen based on an application and interview,” said hostess Dominique Ward, a former winner. Contestants were evaluated in swimwear, talent, evening wear and a question-and-answer session, which Henderson said was probably most important to the judges.

The pageant also included the sisters of Alpha Kappa Alpha, who performed a skit, while juniors Henderson, Christopher Lomax and Teja Veal performed a musical selection.

The evening ended with the crowning of Fatima Henson, who will take on the responsibilities of the title and receive a monetary scholarship award.

“It held the tradition of being a classy, sophisticated pageant,” Mikki Marshall, junior, said.

Camille Cohen can be contacted at c.cohen@umiami.edu.