UMNEWS – UM raises over $900,000 for United Way

The University celebrated the successful closing of this year’s United Way campaign, which raised over $900,000. Students and faculty all contributed to the effort to improve and strengthen the community.

In celebration, the annual United Way Leadership Reception, for those who donated one percent of their salary or more, was once again hosted by President Shalala at her home to honor and thank the faculty and staff who helped make the University’s United Way campaign a success.

Despite a rocky start due to Hurricane Frances, which forced the cancellation of the big kick-off event, and the other three hurricanes that hit Florida, the campaign is closing with some impressive results. Two hundred and sixty-three employees gave one percent of their salaries; 57 employees donated $1,000 or more; three employees donated $5,000 or more; five employees donated $10,000 or more; and $82,000 was raised through fundraising projects like raffles, luncheons and bake sales.

Jerry Lewis, vice president of University Communications, who chaired the campaign this year, said, “Once again our faculty, staff, and students have shown just how thoughtful, generous, and caring they can be. Their donations to United Way and the many agencies it supports will make a tremendous difference in the lives of tens-of-thousands of people in Miami-Dade County.”

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...