UMNEWS – UM raises over $900,000 for United Way

The University celebrated the successful closing of this year’s United Way campaign, which raised over $900,000. Students and faculty all contributed to the effort to improve and strengthen the community.

In celebration, the annual United Way Leadership Reception, for those who donated one percent of their salary or more, was once again hosted by President Shalala at her home to honor and thank the faculty and staff who helped make the University’s United Way campaign a success.

Despite a rocky start due to Hurricane Frances, which forced the cancellation of the big kick-off event, and the other three hurricanes that hit Florida, the campaign is closing with some impressive results. Two hundred and sixty-three employees gave one percent of their salaries; 57 employees donated $1,000 or more; three employees donated $5,000 or more; five employees donated $10,000 or more; and $82,000 was raised through fundraising projects like raffles, luncheons and bake sales.

Jerry Lewis, vice president of University Communications, who chaired the campaign this year, said, “Once again our faculty, staff, and students have shown just how thoughtful, generous, and caring they can be. Their donations to United Way and the many agencies it supports will make a tremendous difference in the lives of tens-of-thousands of people in Miami-Dade County.”

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...