Etc. – All-too-common depression as May graduation nears

I have a really good guy friend who is gay. We hang out a lot and have a lot of fun together. One of our friends told me that she thinks he is in love with me. Do you think that’s possible? Not in the “I turned him straight” way, but more in the “soulmates” way?

Gay is just a phase

Dear Reader,

I think that you are on crack. I completely understand what you mean by the “soulmates” terminology, but wouldn’t you like to have sex with your soul mate, and not have to worry about him eyeing other guys? Believe me, I have more gay guy friends (who are not just fashion accessories, thank you very much!) than a girl could ever possibly need, but I know that there isn’t a snowball’s chance in hell that we’re ever going to share anything more than a very deep and caring friendship.

Your friend is clearly mistaken in her observation, or perhaps you took her phrasing too literally. Do I think that it is possible to be in love with your friends? Of course! I would only hope that you adore your friends-after all, you are choosing to spend your time with them, and who wants to spend time with people that they can’t stand? Yet, there is a very big difference between platonic friends and kissy friends, namely platonic friends are not into kissy business. However, if you and your gay boyfriend are into slobbery sober kissy business, then he might have other issues to discuss.

Bottom line, I highly doubt that boyfriend is your “I wanna have your babies and worship your bod” soulmate, but I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that you two share a fabulously honest and enjoyable friendship with one another. And, hopefully your friendship will ring true far beyond college and far into your future.

Best of luck!

V.

I am a senior graduating in May. A lot of my friends are starting to get really depressed about graduating, even though it’s still early February. What can I do to cheer them up? I don’t want to spend my last semester of my college experience drying their tears.

Kleenex

Dear Kleenex,

Oy vey! The tears! The tears! OK, so, college is over. Big whoop, you still have 80 more years to cherish! Hello, people! There is life beyond college, and if you don’t think there is, you are in desperate need of a huge reality check. If anything, in my opinion, the best years are still ahead. I really could do away with, in an absolute heartbeat, all of the awkwardness, tension, and heartache that accompany this age. There is wisdom is aging people! Hello!

So, what do you think I am, the friggin’ pep club? You want to be able to cheer up your friends-remind them about the opportunity, the promise of future love and all of the absolute coolness that is ahead! Why don’t you remind them about all of the time they spent griping away to you about money, love, crappy friends and even crappier classes? Harrumph! I’m sure that silly little reminder would put everything into perspective for them!

Really ,though, I’m much more worried about you being surrounded by a bunch of teary maniacs. Is it too late to meet new friends? Worst-case scenario, drag them out with fatty guilt trips and liquor them up! I’m sure they will forget about all of their troubles! Hey, it worked for the Piano Man!

Good luck!

V.

Fact O’ the Day…About 54 percent of men say that they masturbate at least once a day…

Please submit all questions, comments or concerns to DearV@hotmail.com or to the Dear V box in the offices of the Hurricane. All submissions are strictly confidential. Dear V. is published on Tuesdays and Fridays, and yes, V will respond to almost (don’t push it) anything.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...